Type of Fluid???

-

dewsky

1975 Duster 360
Reaction score
Ok Guys.....I have a new 904 (stock as far as I know of) that was built and installed in this car before I bought it. The problem is, that the tranny is missing the dipstick. Now, I have another 904 dipstick, I was just wanting to make sure I put in the RIGHT FLUID in the tranny before initial engine startup (engine is new as well). I went to the auto parts store and they said it took ATF-3.....but I seem to remember my 727 from my 71 Super Bee taking Dextron II. Any ideas???

Bob

im not 110½ on this one but i think i read somewhere that the big diference betwen some of the oils is that the older gaskets and seals didnt like newer oiltypes but if your gearbox is rebuilt it should be safe to use newer types of oil without worrying:)
and the Ford type oil is suposed to be a little bit less slippy..

Type F ??????? Are you guys sure? I thought mopars all used Dexron Mercon 2 or 3? I noticed that in the instruction sheet of my TCI Trans kit for the valve body said to use type F fluid also, and that really thru me as I am half way into the rebuild and have been dipping and soaking parts in Dexron Mercon fluid. Do I have to tear it all apart and clean it and start over with type F or will it not hurt anything???

Type-F is recommeded in a shift kit. stock or oem oil was the dextron type--- Type -F is a more course type of fliud, dextron type is a more smoother fluid. I have used type-f in mine (727) since i have had the car (1992) They want you to use type-f with preformance upgrades(shift kits, stall converters, tranz-brake ect.)so the clutchs "grap harder" and helping firm up the shifts.

kraybesniper, No you wont have to tear it down. The reason you soak the clutchs is so you wont burn the disks when first ran after the rebiuld.

I have been using the type F in mine since I rebuilt it in the winter. No problems at all. I put a Cheetah manual valve body in it and I believe Turbo Action even reccomends the type F fluid. It shifts REAL hard when you get on it. The problem I had was finding enough type F fluid. Nobody had any, I had to buy a couple bottles here and a couple there . It was a real pain in the a$$ trying to locate a dozen bottles of it. And expensive too!
picture0178sk.jpg

Type "F" Fluid can be found in Walmart's for $1.32/qT., U.S. (3.98 LTR.). i USE ATF+3 I use Atf+3 in all my Cudas.
Dave

Type F does not have the lubricating properties that Dexron has. Nor can it withstand the heat. I wouldn't use it personally, you can expect shortened life from your trans if you do use it.

My personal recommendation would be for Amsoil synthetic. Far superior than any thing else on the market and it will add a couple hundred RPM to your converters stall speed. It will look bad and stink shortly after you put it in but it's good.

I recently serviced my transmission after 500+ runs using Type F, there was no abnormal wear, and I only replaced the steels and clutches because i was there. I have never lost a set of clutches using type F. I have never had a band failure either. If I were to switch types of fluid would I see any kind of performance gain or an improvement in the life of my transmissions?

-
Back