Type of gas?

-

no1newb

Reaction score
ive been using premium in my 73 318, but ive been wondering if it would be that big of a deal to go to regular unleaded, gas is getting higher 3.85 hear. what say? pay the extra 20 cents a gallon or go to regular?

You can use any grade but you'll have to bump it up a grade if the motor starts to ping

You only need good enough gas to not have detonation.

Anything beyond that is tossing money in the toilet.

If your 73 has stock compression, regular should be fine.

as far as i know its all stock, pulled from a 73 cuda. alright, ill switch and try it out. thanks

"Premium" ( 91 octane :sign11: ) here in sunny So Cal is $4.30 / gallon plus ; over $5.00 in some areas :stop: !

I run "premium" in my daily driver '72 Coronet with its stock ( albeit with ignition upgrades ) 318 ; but , I have the timing bumped-up to its max-before-detonation setting , as the car just runs better that way
( better mileage and smoother performance ) .

Higher octane just prevents ping. If your compression is stock and your timing is set correctly you can easily run 87.

Octane ratings, I believe, just detonates at different temperatures.

I had a 73 Dodge Coronet with a 318, never ran anything but 87 octane. The car ran great and had plenty of power with no detonation.

Go as low octane as you can go. High octane burns slower. slowing you down if not needed ,due to high compression, etc.

-
Back