Type of paint?

-

7duster4

Reaction score
Possibly next week im going to be painting my duster. However I am still debating on what kind of paint to get. I work at an auto parts warehouse/store and when it comes to paint our paint center only sells PPG, so I can get a small discount. Has anyone had any experience with "Shopline" paint? It was only about $85 a gallon versus over $200 a gallon for deltron. Also, what would you guys reccomend for the clear-coat. I just want good paint and clear that really shines but don't want to spend a fortune buying the stuff. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

ppg is good and so is dupont if u want ur car to last and look good for a long time i would go with ppg or dupont it is more exspensive but worth it in the long run the cheaper paints will look cheaper thats why they are cheaper

R-M / Glasurit is what my brother's shop uses. Very good stuff, you generally get what you pay for in automotive paint.

The "shopline" that I mentioned above is a PPG paint. So is "deltron" and "omni" and a few others. There is over $100 dollar difference between the shopline and deltron for a gallon. I just wonder how much different they are in quality?

The Deltron is PPG's better line of paint products.

The Shopline, I believe, is now replacing the Omni line.

I don't personally use PPG, but it's about the same as Dupont or any other major brand when it comes to pricing. When you use the lower priced line of paint, such as Shopline or Omni, you'll probably use quite a bit more paint to get the same coverage as you would with the more expensive Deltron. But a lot of that will depend on the color you're spraying. Some colors give much better coverage than others, for example, you can probably spray 2 coats of black then clearcoat, but with a cheaper line of paint, something like yellow or red, that both have poor coverage, it may take considerably more coats and materials to get proper coverage. Personally, I think I'd use the Deltron base then go with the Omni or Shopline clear.

I work in a PPG store. I've had very good results with the ShopLine/Omni products. I actually like their clears better. Color match can be an issue if you are doing spot work, but on an overall job you can't beat it! I prefer the Shopline jc630 clear, it dries quickly and buffs very nice...
As far as durability I have jobs out there 7+ years without any problems...

Bob

Shopline clear really is good stuff......BUT, I can't say for a comparison between the bases........haven't really compared them.......However, I have had good results doing spot and fender repairs with Shopline bases. :read2:

my paint was ppg deltron. looks good. haven't heard of the shopline. sounds like a few members know it well.

Deltron will cover better. Shopline usually need an extra coat or 2 to cover especially with greens and yellows. If you figure your time in the job, the extra coats might be worth spending the extra money on the better(Deltron) base and save some money with the Shopline clears... Best of both worlds that way....

Bob

well the manager at finishmasters told me that shopline is for ppg only jobbers. they don't carry it since they are a multi line jobber. he did talk good things about it though.

I used shopline 2K urethane primer on my dart sport when I painted it a few years ago. The primer worked fine and was quite affordable.

I did not use shopline or PPG color on the car because the vendor who sold me the shopline primer would not provide me a data sheet on the shopline paints. I got mad and went and bought Nason paint to complete the job. Everything worked out well, I just don't like buyinmg paint from that vendor.

if you work at the place where they sell it, then definately use the shopline paint!

Bob

Shop line is PPG jobber only. It is the same as the Omni brand.
I always give P-sheets(data) with the product. I always highlight the important stuff. Saves me and the customer alot of grief and phone calls...

Bob

i am a fan of house of kolor products myself its = $ wise to deltron or chromabase from dupont .

but it always comes down to money sooner or later. so buy the best you can afford it does make a difference between a 5 10 or 15 yr life span of a paint job
good luck

-
Back