U heads

-

fzmax

Reaction score
These are supposed to be 340 heads, but instead of an X or a J there is a U cast into the area between the plugs. Any ideas?

Quite the contrary to what may be said by some, the U heads are from the 1970 340 engine that is if you have the correct numbers 3418915 and the letter E somewhere but the main difference is that these heads came with 202 intakes.
According to AllPar
Some of the 1970 340 Six-Pack engines had heads with a U or O casting letter in addition to the J, but they were still the same part number head (the T/A head had the intake valve pushrod holes drilled in a offset location).
If you find the J heads at a swap meet, they could be either original 2.02 valve heads (1971) or original 1.88 heads (1972). If you find a set of 1.88 heads and want 2.02 valves, just take them and have them machined for the larger valves. Some of the 1970 340 Six-Pack engines had heads with a U or O casting letter in addition to the J, but they were still the same part number head

(the T/A head had the intake valve pushrod holes drilled in a offset location).

All LA 340-360 heads flow pretty much the same X,J,U,O doesnt matter. The big difference is valve size and on a street motor I wouldnt even worry about that all that much.

Hope this made sense

Thanks for the info Hotlines. I got a quick look at an engine tonight that was supposed to have had W2 on it, but had these heads instead. Being that the car hasn't run in 30 years they could be T/A's and they just got the terminology wrong. I'll have to go back when I can pull a valve cover.

use the search feature, it's your friend.

same head as j

Really? Try searching for U head. The search engine drops the U because it's too short so you're left with a billion threads with "head" in it somewhere. That's likely half the threads on this board.

-
Back