U-joint for steering box.

-

rbkt65

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I ordered a tilt column for my 71 dart. It is a typical GM column. I also ordered 2 u-joints to connect the dd shaft to the gear box. I ordered 3/4 x 5/8-36 spline. The dd side fit but the 5/8-36 is .630 too small to fit the spline on the gear box. I measured the spline on the gearbox and it is .617, so the 5/8-36 should be correct. I contacted the seller and they said that it should have fit. I sent them back. Now I am unsure of what to buy. Side note-gearbox has master spline but the u-joint had a flat spot approximately 1/4 in wide at the top. So where to know? TIA.

I am using a 65 gearbox and early 80 M/J tilt column so the Mopar specific U Joints should fit according to the Tech at Borgeson

There's a 5/8-36 spline, as used in GM products; and then there is a 5/8-36 Chrysler spline- they do not interchange, they are different! When ordering, you must get the Chrysler spline. And if they don't specify, I'd bet dollars to donuts you'll get the GM spline. If they don't know the difference, find a different vendor.
Borgeson lists the correct spline.
Universal Joints

Sorry, it is ps. If both are 36 spline, what makes them different? Thanks.

Last edited:
-
Back