UCA Bushing Question

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Am I supposed to have end caps on BOTH ends of the bushings?

With the caps on both sides, it's too wide to fit back up in the car...

Jeff

Last edited:
Ok...I just took off the inner caps....still doesn't fit.
It sure looks like they're all the way in...the flange of the bushing is up flat against the control arm.

20160510_180529_zpshdrn7am1.jpg

20160510_180538_zpsmhi8fs9x.jpg

20160510_180545_zps6bmzqn8p.jpg

Last edited:
OK....I pressed them again.....they aren't going any further down.....
Any ideas?

Jeff

Some will put them together without the end caps. Early production Moog Offset bushings didn't include new end caps. Now for me... I can imagine the end of the bushings center tube digging into the chassis clips and possibly working loose over time. Just my imagination though, never seen it.
I would rather have the OEM type end caps with the little bite bumps on them.
Bottom line, you have 2 options,,, Put it together without end caps or use a shop hammer to spread the chassis clips until the arm drops in with end caps in place.

Some will put them together without the end caps. Early production Moog Offset bushings didn't include new end caps. Now for me... I can imagine the end of the bushings center tube digging into the chassis clips and possibly working loose over time. Just my imagination though, never seen it.
I would rather have the OEM type end caps with the little bite bumps on them.
Bottom line, you have 2 options,,, Put it together without end caps or use a shop hammer to spread the chassis clips until the arm drops in with end caps in place.

Thank you !
Now, if I install without the end caps, wont the bushings be loose on the bolts?

Jeff

Thank you !
Now, if I install without the end caps, wont the bushings be loose on the bolts?

Jeff
No I don't think so Jeff. They squeeze together tight when installed. I have always had to pound them into place with a rubber mallet, using the outer caps.

No I don't think so Jeff. They squeeze together tight when installed. I have always had to pound them into place with a rubber mallet, using the outer caps.
I leaning towards spreading the chassis clips until the arm drops in....I don't want to assemble it without the end caps....
Whats the best way to do this....a BMFH? Make some kind of spreader?

Jeff

If you don't own a port-a-power, BFH works

OK....I was thinking about it....I'll try a crowbar with a block/shim....to be a little more gentle before I bust out the BMFH....

Thanks again guys....wish me luck!
I'll let you all know how it goes!

Jeff

You might try squeezing the bushings and cap together with a standard bolt an nut before installing the arms. The two I pulled from my car are measuring around 1.875"-1.950" over calipers. I had to dead blow hammer the arms into the brackets when the bushings were new.

CntrlArmBush.gif

You might try squeezing the bushings and cap together with a standard bolt an nut before installing the arms. The two I pulled from my car are measuring around 1.875"-1.950" over calipers. I had to dead blow hammer the arms into the brackets when the bushings were new.

View attachment 1714933551

I put the hurt on them with a 20 ton press....they're not squeezing any more....
So I'm down to flexing out the ears on the body or squeezing the control arm with a big clamp or a chain and a bolt.....

If you will notice the frame section where these locate has tapered openings for these to be forced into. Get one end started and use a BFH to get the other going.

If you will notice the frame section where these locate has tapered openings for these to be forced into. Get one end started and use a BFH to get the other going.

OK....thanks.....if I can get it started....go on and force it the rest of the way.....
God - I wanna get home and try now!

Jeff

Yeah these shouldn't go in too easy. The upper arms are often sprung open a little too which doesn't help. Make sure you have the sides correct and bump stop pads line up.

Last edited:
get a short 3/4" bolt and nut with big washers asnd use it as a jack bolt to spread the chassis mount ears evenly apart, do not install the UCA without the washers, they need to be there

get a short 3/4" bolt and nut with big washers asnd use it as a jack bolt to spread the chassis mount ears evenly apart, do not install the UCA without the washers, they need to be there

Absolutely....I agree - the washers MUST be there.....
That's a good idea....make a little "spreader"!
Think I'll try that before anything else.....

Jeff

Ok....it's in!
Made a little spreader out of a bolt, nut and washers and stuff...opened up the ears just on one side a tiny bit and was able to stuff the arm in.

I never realized those ears could bend in, but I guess after almost half a century of alignments they were.

Thanks again. ...I was a little nervous about it. ..never had that happen before.

Jeff

-
Back