UCA with poly - slider caps

-

RGAZ

Diehard
Reaction score
73 duster

Putting in poly bushings and they say to reuse the end caps, but they don’t fit in the inner sleeve and mine are pretty bad. Do I use them? Where would I get new ones?

Bushings came with washers but I’m sure these are not what I should use.

image.jpg

Rgaz

There is no included inner sleeve? The B-body kit calls to reuse all metal parts.
Do you have Energy pn 5.3132 or 5.3121?

Prothane 4-206bl from Summit. Just washers and instructions to reuse the old.

image.jpg

As I said, the old ones are trash. I just need the slide washers.

Rgaz

They don't look bad in the pic; just surface rust to clean up on a bench grinder with a wire wheel if anything. I don't know where you would get new. It looks like the new sleeves are shorter and the washers fit over the ends so everything stacks up to the same height. The ends do not need to tuck into the sleeve. It would clamp through the sleeve and washers.

They don't look bad in the pic; just surface rust to clean up on a bench grinder with a wire wheel if anything. I don't know where you would get new. It looks like the new sleeves are shorter and the washers fit over the ends so everything stacks up to the same height. The ends do not need to tuck into the sleeve. It would clamp through the sleeve and washers.
Yeah, those are the ones I could save, the rest had cracks in them or broke around the center when I pried them off the old bushings. That’s not counting the ones I bent the heck out of.

I saw that the MOOG K7103 offset kit has new slide caps so I asked MOOG if I could just get the caps. It’s a long shot but my other option is to pry them off my other car that is in a different stage of restoration. I’ll not be putting poly on that car so new bushings will come with caps. I would prefer not doing that because it’s not easily accessible.

Rgaz

MOOG says they will not sell the slider caps only. So I am going to buy some super-cheap china-made junk bushing so I can steal the slider caps off them and use them. It appears to be the cheapest and fastest option.

MOOG tech service was surprised that anyone actually sold the offset kit I referenced. I chuckled.

RGAZ

If that doesn't work out, you could make caps using washers cut from common flat strip with a drill and hacksaw and use washers to reach the new, short sleeve. Just need a smooth surface the full diameter of the bush to rub against and fill the gap.

final solution: I gave up on those prothane bushings. Trying to get the washers to stay in place while you shoved in the control arm is nearly impossible. So I bailed and installed MOOG regular bushings. Easy as pie.

IMG_1928.jpeg
IMG_1927.jpeg

Now down she goes, set ride height, tighten and give a basic alignment to get to my old school guy to align it. I miss driving her.

RGAZ

-
Back