Ugly Drum Smoker

-
Hell yeah,
But what was in the barrels?

Hell yeah,
But what was in the barrels?

Some sort of fruit syrup if I remember correctly...

There is a place in Athol Idaho that is literally acres and acres if drums....both plastic and metal...

I was gonna make a smoker a few years ago out of well pressure tanks. turned out I only had 1 good tank, so it became a grill. !! maybe I will paint t green and call it a big green egg grill!!??????
get to work on that s moker! steel barrels go for $6 ea here.

Going to town today to get some angle iron and a piece of plate so I can build the charcoal box. Have been tripping over the expanded metal I am going to use for a couple of years now.

Decided I am going to use one of them for an UDS and another just as a chamber for cold smoking.

Wife is killing me over here. We just got done slicing and vacuum sealing over 20 pounds of bacon on Sunday...and she has not made me any of it yet!!!!!!

can't YOU cook bacon!!????? I can tell ya how..... LOL

Sure can...but I generally stay far away form her range while she is home lol....Ernie will be gone tomorrow, guess I may have to pull some bacon out of the freezer....

Went looking for parts today...went thru 4 stores before I found a 3/4" black gas pipe floor flange. 1 store had an empty box on the shelf, 2 others did not even have spots on the shelves for them. You would think that the major box stores would stock these things....:violent1:

I made up a air intake slider like on the big green egg. The pipes around the bottom are bull crap. No need to have holes in the back side of the barrel. I don't know where .... Is but if you are smoking in the cold- then silver bubble wrap from Home Depot will extend your smoking time. No it doesn't melt

Will the smoker do charcoal or wood, or is it to be designed for charcoal only?

Doug, so is this going to be built from a kit? I've seen the kits before, wondered if a guy could use 30 gallon barrels instead of a 55 gallon?

Sounds cool to me. I built a mini wsm using the Walmart steamer pot. It works for our family of 4. It would be cool to be able to feed the whole block hahahaha.

Will the smoker do charcoal or wood, or is it to be designed for charcoal only?
I only use wood chunks....but it will also be able to burn charcoal....
Doug, so is this going to be built from a kit? I've seen the kits before, wondered if a guy could use 30 gallon barrels instead of a 55 gallon?
Some use a kit, but I am going to piece it together. Was in a store a few months back and seen a trash can smoker kit....don't see any reason why a 30 gallon drum would not work....quick internet search turned up this....
http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html
next time I am near Ziggys I will stop in and see if they still have trash can smoker kit..
Sounds cool to me. I built a mini wsm using the Walmart steamer pot. It works for our family of 4. It would be cool to be able to feed the whole block hahahaha.
I am greedy....not going to smoke for anybody but us :glasses7:

....quick internet search turned up this....
http://www.cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

Be careful what you read on the internet. I recommend that everybody interested in good BBQing join The Smoke Ring forum. Lots of good helpful people there (kinda like here) who love to talk about BBQ and help others.

Some people like the guy who wrote that article above don't know their *** from a hole in the wall and then write an internet article and are somehow BBQ experts?!?! He lives in California but his neighbor used to be from Kansas and showed him how to BBQ?!? He says BBQing involves cooking meat directly over the fire at temperatures of 400 degrees. Stick a $50 brisket on a grill at 400 degrees and you'll have burnt shoe leather before it reaches anything worth eating. Low and slow is the answer to great BBQ. If you don't have time to wait, you don't deserve it!

popcorn.gif

The reason that the 55 gal barrel is used is that it gives you a proper space between the lump charcoal basket and your grate. What makes the UDS special is that the drippings fall on the fire and the smoke comes back up to give you the awesome tasting bark on the meat. You could use a diffuser witha smaller barrel and it works but there is a difference in taste and is quite often hard to keep the temps down to 200f. My first barrel is now 7 years old and still works magic.

Be careful what you read on the internet. I recommend that everybody interested in good BBQing join The Smoke Ring forum. Lots of good helpful people there (kinda like here) who love to talk about BBQ and help others.

Some people like the guy who wrote that article above don't know their *** from a hole in the wall and then write an internet article and are somehow BBQ experts?!?! He lives in California but his neighbor used to be from Kansas and showed him how to BBQ?!? He says BBQing involves cooking meat directly over the fire at temperatures of 400 degrees. Stick a $50 brisket on a grill at 400 degrees and you'll have burnt shoe leather before it reaches anything worth eating. Low and slow is the answer to great BBQ. If you don't have time to wait, you don't deserve it!

Thanks for the link. You made mention of the link I posted. I did not read thru it, just posted it to show that damn near anything can be used lol....

"If you don't have time to wait, you don't deserve it!"........Very true....Ribs were on the Big Green Egg today for 5.5 hours....best ribs I have ever made....

View attachment ribs04.jpg

You are also right about joining one of the smoking forums. Counting the one that you provided the link to I am currently on 4 of them. Not that anyone noticed or cares but that is why I am not on here all that much anymore....been spending a ton of time on the smoking sites....

Yeah, I went through that phase a couple of years ago also. I bought a used Oklahoma Joe's offset BBQ and spent a whole summer smoking everything from brisket and pork butts to eggs and cheese. It's an art and a science that's lots of fun and tastes good too!

memorialday08001.jpg

Yeah, I went through that phase a couple of years ago also. I bought a used Oklahoma Joe's offset BBQ and spent a whole summer smoking everything from brisket and pork butts to eggs and cheese. It's an art and a science that's lots of fun and tastes good too!

memorialday08001.jpg
Do you still use it? Funny you mention cheese, that's what I have to do today.

Yep, not so much in the winter though. My pulled pork sammiches are pretty legendary in our circle of friends so I do about 10 pork butts a year. I have never brought any left over pork home from a party and I usually do a 9-10 pound butt. Here's a brisket from last summer.

img1304256210047.jpg

-
Back