ugly pic

-

Sparky

Reaction score
About a month ago I move the Cuda from my shop up to the garage to make room to do some other chores. It has not been on the road yet this year. Pulled it out of the grange today and looky look what's on the floor. It looks to be mostly trans fluid with a little engine oil. I did notice some small leaks last year but not like this. So now I have the Dart in the shop pulled apart,trans and engine out, just dying for me to get my arse in gear and get it done and now the fish is leaking like an old row boat and I really should take out the motor and freshen it up. Oh ya, I also noticed a couple of minor small bubbles starting to form on one of the fenders, guess I will see if my painter stands by is gaurentee. Yes this is a full blown power whine. Is it just me or do you guys ever get that overwhelmed feeling? Guess I need to make a list and prioritize what I am going to do next. I am thinking I should take the motor and trans out of the cuda and put the Dart motor and trans in and freshen up the fish stuff. Sometimes, time, energy and motivation is hard to find especially when you have gone through a string of bad **** in your world as I have recently. Ok no more whining but how about a pep talk from FABO so I can get moving.

2009_04220001.jpg

2009_04220002.jpg

That leak isn't too bad. I have one of those dish washing buckets under my car.
Under the cross member so all the fluids leak into it. Every week I just take the bucket and pour the gallon of anti-freeze back into the radiator. Bugs and all.

Before you pull the motor, do a compression check and run air into all the plug holes and listen for blowby thru the dipstick tube. If all is good, just do a reseal and paint job on the motor. That leak isnt that bad...

UM...what was my car doing in yer garage? LOL

mine leaves the same spot! and it is driving me crazy! mine is from the trans dipstick tube. and I am putting it off until I change the trans fluid this year. but, I might not even bother... I am lazy and I look at it as my trans is slowly auto changing its fluid. might just top it off and leave the pan under the car :) Nawwww really it is driving me nuts! I gotta fix it .

Pete

I'd wipe it up and drive the car another summer. It's not that bad. Just keep an eye on it.

The best motivation is driving your car and realizing just how much fun it is. Get your butt in gear and put the Dart stuff in the Fish. That will motivate you to get freshening up the engine and trans. Then you will be faced with another dilema. Which one should I drive today? Not a bad situation to be in, huh?
Frank H.

You mean leaks aren't normal? I must've missed the thread on that. I've heard people clean their engines too.

That,s not to bad of a leak,for sittin in the same spot for 6 months!I,m kinda anal about leaks though,nothin worse than someone sayin..what,s that leaking under your car?Espeacially at a show or cruise!If you pull it out,once you get going on it,it,ll be a breeze!You decide?

I'm with you Sparky,I don't like leaks either. I have found a cure for them though, very dark sunglass's. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Jack

That leaks not bad

The 340 in my dart drops 2 or so drips of oil after sitting in the garage most of the winter and started every two weeks.

Now my vette drips at least as much as your car,but it is a 89 and motor has never been apart

That,s not to bad of a leak,for sittin in the same spot for 6 months!I,m kinda anal about leaks though,nothin worse than someone sayin..what,s that leaking under your car?Espeacially at a show or cruise!If you pull it out,once you get going on it,it,ll be a breeze!You decide?
Its only been in that spot a month, just drove it a couple of hundred feet up to my garage from the shop. I should take the oportunity tweak the fish motor anyway. I would like to try out the Dart 340 as it is supposed to be a very hot motor, Going to sit down with a good car buddy today and make a plan try to get the ball rolling, once I get going I should ok...I can do eeet!

Hell Sparky all in all that's about a teaspoon worth of tranny oil. My Demon leaks that much over a period of time and I thought it was just normal for a Dodge. I usually just throw an old towel under her and live with it as I know everything is tight.

Terry

Could be something as simple as a pan gasket OR the converter is slowly draining and overfilling the pan. In that case, check the dipstick tube for sighns of leaks where in goes into the trans.

I'm with LeAnne, the old girl is just marking her territory. Automotive fluids are a lot like blood - it doesn't take much to look really bad.

Terry: Are you folks getting hit with this return to winter today? It's about +2C with a 50MPH Norwester blowin up my kilt.

That ant nothing. You can fix that. If you don't it should be ok. That may look bad but it does not take a lot of oil to make a mess like that.

Like we used to say in the Navy when we worked on the MH-53E Helo's.
"If it ant leaking its empty"

Well, at least the undercarriage won't rust if you're driving on the street and blowing that all over everything! LOL - just joking with you.

That leak isn't so bad. But it is a leak.

My '65 was leaking WAY more than that. I have a white tarp under it, in the garage, and now it's a pink tarp :shock:.

However, I did bring it into the shop and have the front and rear seals replaced. And I installed the new stall converter that I bought from a member here, only to find that it isn't the right one for my particular 904. Boy, did it spew out fluid when we first started it up. Pull the tranny, again, and put the old one back in. No more tranny leak.

Now there's a leak at the rear of my intake manifold. :angry3:

The poor thing is mad at you because your not driving her so she pissed on your floor. I bet the seals are dried up, I would just drive her everyday and see if that fixes it.

-
Back