ugly rear end

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I have a 7.25 rear end and am switching to an 8 3/4. I have been told that for some reason since my car is a 1973 that i have the small bolt pattern on the rear axels. I was wondering if this was true and if i got a rear end with the big bolt pattern how big of a pain it would be to drill out new wholes on the axel...or if that is safe?

well no 8.75 a body rears came with big bolt pattern axles so unless there aftermarket you dont have to worry...

i am pretty sure they are 10.5. I sound pathetic sayying "im pretty sure" but I am 4 hours from the car and have not seen it since the middle of October...I am having serious withdraws

i am pretty sure they are 10.5. I sound pathetic sayying "im pretty sure" but I am 4 hours from the car and have not seen it since the middle of October...I am having serious withdraws

damn is it have the relocation kit for the springs??

what kinda car?

Its a 73 Swinger and no spring movement...I made sure i got the fatest tire possible under with out doing and cutting...i can barley fit a finger between the fender and the tire though. I got alot of crap thrown my way for having those tires when I had a slant six but i knew i was going to drop a sb in it so i just figured i would do the tires first...now i have the sb and still got a 7.25 rear end with high way gears so i take people for a ride in it and they just talk about how slow it is but they usually dont understand how much a difference there is between 2.73 gears and 3.73's so i am hoping to get a few people to shut their mouths.

You can get axles for 8 3/4 in small bolt or big bolt. If your 73 started life as slant 6 and drum breaks it more than likely a small bolt car. All others should be big bolt. But I've been wrong before, ma mopar did some weird stuff in 73-74. Good luck

i am keeping my fingers crossed that the wheels fit...if not im going to have to buy a couple steelies for the back....i was going to invest in a set of slicks anyways so i guess it will not be that big a of a issue if they dont fit...and it was a slant six drum car

I have had the 7.25 in the dart with the v8 in it for over 2 years now and i have been HARD on it and the thing is still holding up great...just getting really tired of doing the one wheel wonders.

i was thinking about just making a homemade l suregrip outta the 7.25 before i get rid of it since they are not going for much anyways

You can get axles for 8 3/4 in small bolt or big bolt. If your 73 started life as slant 6 and drum breaks it more than likely a small bolt car. All others should be big bolt. But I've been wrong before, ma mopar did some weird stuff in 73-74. Good luck

not a bodies

not abody ? axles, confused. I have a 8 3/4s in a bodys with big and small patterns, the large axles may be after market.Not trying to argue, trying to under stand.

there were no factory BBP axles in abodies... why i dont know...

just like 805moparkid said, no abody 8 3/4' s had the 4 1/2 pattern
The person that owned my car before my drilled the 8 3/4 4" axles to 4 1/2
I personally dont like it, and plan on aftermarket ones next yr
The car only runs 9.30"s in the eighth and doesnt see 3-4 thou a yr and they have held up so far
however that will change very soon as well

I redrilled mine and ran them with slicks 10.70 ,for two years.
no issues.
I not telling you to do that, just that its been done.

Jim F

From my experience, all /6, front drum brake cars had the 4" bolt pattern. All of the 73 and later front disk brake cars, regardless of engine, had the 4½" bolt pattern. I have not seen a 73 or later V-8 car that did not have disk brakes, but that doesn't mean there aren't some out there.

The 7¼ was made with both SBP and BBP axles and was available with SG. From what I can determine, the 8.75 for the A-body was discontinued after the 340 was de-tuned beginning with the 73 models. So, there are no factory built A-body 8.75 differentials with BBP axles.

The 7¼ was made with both SBP and BBP axles and was available with SG.

You no speaketh with fork-ed tongue. Seeneth many in as many moons. Now, prepareth for conflict from those who knoweth not.

not a bodies

Starting in 73 if you had an A-body car with a V8 or a \6 with disk front brakes you had the big bolt pattern, even if it had a 7.25 rear end. I gave a big bolt pattern 7.25 from a 73 318 Dart Swinger away a few years back. Only the \6 drum brake cars stayed small bolt pattern.

You can do what I did in my Barracuda. I found an 8-3/4" in a 1/2 ton pick-up truck. I bought the axle shafts, backing plates, drums and hardware. I sent the axles to Moser Engineering. They cut the axles to the proper length and re-splined them. The re-sized axles popped in like factory pieces! I had that done a couple years ago and I think it cost me less that a $100.00!

A-body 8 3/4 = small bolt, after market big bolt axles are available
B- body 8 3/4 = big bolt
8 1/4 = big bolt
7 1/4 came in both small bolt and big bolt circle

I have a 7.25 rear end and am switching to an 8 3/4. I have been told that for some reason since my car is a 1973 that i have the small bolt pattern on the rear axels. I was wondering if this was true and if i got a rear end with the big bolt pattern how big of a pain it would be to drill out new wholes on the axel...or if that is safe?

measure what you have now and go from there.

here is how to measue and see what pattern you have .

http://www.mrt-wheels.com/boltpattern.html

5lug.jpg

-
Back