Uh Oh. Lots of play in 904 gear selector, any guesses?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All

Just put in my new built 904 yesterday. Its got an A&A trans brake and tons of other goodies.

It clicks into each gear ok, but then there's like an inch of play in each gear. Stock trans clicks into each gear and then there's zero play in the lever.

Valve body junk?

I really wish I would have put the selector lever in this thing and fooled with it before dropping it in the car........

Well, there's not a whole lot to go wrong there. Is the selector shaft worn where the arm goes on? It's possible that the rooster comb and selector shaft may be worn and loose. They are just sort of pressed together. You can easily replace the selector shaft assembly just by dropping the valvebody.

All this stuff is brand new. I'm hoping its not worn.

Thanks for the reply

As long as you are sure it's in the trans and not the linkage (I know you're not a dumbass but I have to say it) I'd drop the valvebody and see what's going on in there.

I had to re weld the shaft that the linkage slides onto,had to drop the pan,drop the valve body,clean it ,weld it ,dress the welds with a cut off wheel,clean it again and reinstall it,that won't ever be a problem again!!!

Hmm. I guess I better drop the valvebody. I don't even have the linkage hooked up to it. I was adjusting the cable shift when I found this.

I guess at least I didn't fill it with fluid yet (other then the converter).

Thanks for the help!

Steve

It was the stupid Turbo Action shifter shaft. Even at max tight it was wiggling.

Took the trans down, replaced the nut on the bracket, hella tightened it. Good to go!

-
Back