!!!UNBELIEVABLE!! Got out of the local DMV successful and alive!!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
The local DMV has gone to "QLESS" appointment software which I call "clueless." VERY irritating. I have a big 'ol boat was basically given to me, and the trailer that "was" under the "new" boat which I'm gonna sell under the "old" boat. I need trailer reg for two trailers. Boats are already OK, they are done through a different office!!!!

First, the "CLUE less" software said "so many minutes" about 45 minutes from the time I got a text on the phone. TWENTY MINUTES LATER I'm about five minutes away from the courthouse, and it says "I'm at the head of the line!!!" You have to send them the letter "J" ????????????????????? which "puts you back in line." I'm standing there in the DMV watching this stupid monitor, and can NOT find my listing up there. ???????????????????? Probly 5 more minutes of double checking texts and screwing around, I look up at the monitor and "I'M AT THE FRONT!!"

I tell ya girls and boys, this is NO WAY TO RUN a state gobt!!!

Trailer under "free" boat:" No readable ID / VIN label, most of you would call it "junk." Rusty, needs tires, lights, wiring, bunks After I REALLY looked at the plate, turns out the tab (expired) + the new tab in an envelope ARE FOR A DIFFERENT PLATE, but when you look at the "VIN" you can kinda see that it HAS to match the almost-corroded away VIN tag. So the tabs and registration "kinda" match the VIN, even though it looks like "rusted white" and the registration says "blue." Well maybe it WAS blue once

The other trailer, under the new boat, has a "title" issued in the early 80's and it's signed off, but no bill of sale from that guy, two other guys have "owned" it (but not used or registered it) and NO tag or registration. She goes away to somewhere in the back room, I stand there until my legs hurt. She finally came back and for whatever reason felt sorry for me? and issued a plate and reg.

I'm still astounded I got out of there with both registrations in hand!!!!

By the way the so called "new boat" is gonna be "swell."

1....Although paint is a "home" single stage job, it's at least as good as I ever could have done and way better than the old one.
2....Spash well is WAY longer than the old boat and so will accomodate the big "fat" V4 OMCs

3....No back seat which means I don't have to crawl over it to access the outboard

4...Cross gussets in the floor make for accommodation of flotation foam and a flat floor.

5...Does not have the un-needed side/ gunwhale trim of the old boat so that's a plus.

I've already got the gusset and tilt unit mounted, figured out how to mount the trolling bracket, and got the steering cable (used) in, and THAT was a wrenching challenge all in itself.

Today I sort of figured out what I'll do for seats and even am going to modify the old rear seat to fit this one. It will quickly fold in half and can be moved out of the way to get to the engine, or mostly, just left out

We are looking to have a bit warmer weather in the coming week/ next, I'm hoping to get the 35hp on there and go for an "inaugural spin"

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

Last edited:
I always thought it might be interesting to start a thread: DMV Horror Stories.
Except it might overload the site.

LOL. In the mid 70's a then friend of mine acquired a 1944 Kenworth bus, like a city bus, front engine. Air brakes. It had a 383 Chrysler swapped in, with a 5 speed and 2 speed brownie. When we first drove into the then owner's yard, around the barn, and saw the the thing, someone said (it was gray) "My gawd, it's a ship!!" I said, "yeh a ship WRECK!!!" and we named it the "Edmond Fitzgerald" on the spot.

the side story is, that on the way home, some 50 miles, --and we knew NOTHING about air brakes--all I knew is you had to have air pressure. This thing did not have "dynamiters" --the spring parking / emergency brakes--if you lost air you had NOTHING> Turns out it liked to throw the belt. He ran right through a stop sign at low speed on a back roads intersection, luckily there was no traffic. There was a "down hill up hill" called "Granite Hill" on the way home. I informed him WE WILL stop, makes sure the air is topped off and the belt looks OK before we go down that!!!

Anyhow, later I traded him out of it. This bus had been used by the Jehova's Witnesses for a church/ fair / mobile kitchen. Had a big range, pizza oven, and big long counter/ drawer unit, and overhead lighting. It made a GREAT little "shop" and storage for me then--I was in a 10 x 55 trailer.

The thing had not been transferred for about the last two owners. I wanted to get plates on it and get it "straight." Had a stack of papers about 3/8" thick

Went down (about 1980?) to the DMV, and the old biddies down there hemed and hawed and thought up excuses, and finally decided I needed to pay several years of PROPERTY TAXES on it because of the license lapse

I told them "Look, I'm here trying to fix all this. I haven't owned this but for a few weeks, it's the LAST THREE owners you need to find if you want taxes."

So they hemmed and hawed some more and finally decided they would just "forgo" the taxes, and I actually got plates for the thing.

Yet another side story, is when I sold it, I drove it, followed by the buyer, about 50 miles into the same area from which my friend had originally bought it. I did not realize the stupid speedo was about 20 mph slow. I could not figure out why he would not keep up with me, and it turned out I was doing well over 70---in a then 55 zone

Looked similar to this
i142551.jpg

When I flew in to LA to pickup my F350 that was given to me the former owner and I went to the DMV to try to get it registered. I had to be a CA resident to get a title so that was a no go. I was astounded at the line to get into the building... about a block long!!! We were lucky since the former owner used to have a dealers license and we skipped all that crap.

If you don't provide a trailer title in FL, they assume it's "home assembled".

Interesting SOP, but I'll take it.

-
Back