Uncoated TTI for break in period?

-

DARTDALE

Reaction score
Hey yall. I am about to order some TTIs for my 360 going into my 72 Dart. Been studying on stock manifolds for break in period,then switching over to ceramic polished TTIs afterwards. I have rethought it and am now thinking about buying uncoated TTIs ,installing them ,have exhaust completed,wait till engine is ready for "ceramic coating" then send TTIs to local ceramic coater and have them ceramic coated. Does this sound like a plan? a good plan? or what? I wonder if anyone has wraped a set of TTIs with header wrap and like the look? I thought about that also. I dunno!! 8)

Hey Dartdale - Are you running a flat tappet cam or roller cam? Roller cams don't require break-in.
Talked directly with tti rep at several shows this year before I ordered mine and was told the big problem during any break-in is possible lean carb conditions causing high exhaust temp. Sustained 2500RPM running during break-in with lean fuel could cause excessively high exhaust temps that will permanently discolor the polished ceramic finish.
Roller cam and/or rich fuel carb condition will help avoid this.
Good luck with whatever your decision is.

won't be easlier to just jet the carb up a number or two to make sure the engine is not running lean , then take the headers on and off...

last time i checked it was easlier to change jets then to remove and replace headers...

got two set of tti headers never had a problem with them on startup...

Dale, I do high temp ceramic coatings here too, and want to let you know that most coaters' warranties will not be honored if you use header wrap. Just an FYI so you don't get bitten on the backside later. :-D

-
Back