Undefeated on the street !!!

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
To me this just means you didn't race the right car. Period. Or perhaps the story has developed over time?? LOL... Before there was youtube, forums, and websites to post ET slips and see what's out there, it was all story time at the taste-freeze and gas station parking lots talk. So here's your chance to tell us how you did it in 1981.
  • G60 14" tires and had your front end 2 ft in the air on the boulevard ???
  • You hit a 165 mph in your 383 RR and it was still pulling but your hot hot hot girlfriend was yelling at you to slow down ??
  • Here is the spot, lets here it!

Last edited:
Yeah, my brother's '72 Demon with a built 340 was undefeated on the street. Anything from small block Fords to Big Block GM's, he never lost. Of course, that was well before the day where everyone was running aluminum head strokers.

A friends ‘66 chevell, 396, 4 spd, ‘supposedly’ only got beat by a length or less by a ‘71 Superbee ,426 hemi, 4 spd. Doubtful in my mind that it was that close.
Yote

Hmmm, well, I have been drag racing basically since I was 7 and my uncle was a national match racer for mopar. He would literally let me steer the car back to the pits after a race. So I had lots of experience with the actual performance of a car vs trash talk on the street. I had the personal experience of taking a 10 second drag car on the street and it was helpless on the street at launch, no way to get traction on regular pavement.

So that's the back story. So with that knowledge. I built a couple three "undefeated" street drag cars, designed completely to take money off the unsuspecting in Anchorage, Alaska in the 80s.

The problem with each car, is after so many wins, word gets out, and you don't get to make money anymore LOL> so my favorite one was a 1968 Barracuda 340 original we put a built for strep BB in. IT was not a sleeper, we just decided to go big, let people see it, and then just try and knock us off the hill. It really, really hooked on the street, especially our little race area.

I like this one, because we drew huge crowds and huge money for the time. I shot down some big, big names with amazing cars. The closest and highest money making was against an old Anglia with a blow big block. He was faster than me on the track, and I knew it. Even with the massive tire he had on it (this was early in the pro-street movement) I was pretty sure he couldn't get that short wheel base to hook and go straight on the street. I beat him by about 4 lengths on the big end, but had a great hole shot on him.

He and I only had a 100 buck bet between us, but the bets on the sides topped 10k, of which we got 15%, winner 10%. loser 5%

Awesome memory.

The other two cars we purpose built for street racing was a 1969 Coronet R/T which ran low 12s at the track, and probably close on the street with cheater slicks- really hooked great. The other was a 1973 Dart Sport 340, a true sleeper with a really screaming off set grind stroke and bored 360 and it also really hooked with mini-tubs and super stock springs.

Great memories.

The only car in my life I want back is the R/T

Hmmm, well, I have been drag racing basically since I was 7 and my uncle was a national match racer for mopar. He would literally let me steer the car back to the pits after a race. So I had lots of experience with the actual performance of a car vs trash talk on the street. I had the personal experience of taking a 10 second drag car on the street and it was helpless on the street at launch, no way to get traction on regular pavement.

So that's the back story. So with that knowledge. I built a couple three "undefeated" street drag cars, designed completely to take money off the unsuspecting in Anchorage, Alaska in the 80s.

The problem with each car, is after so many wins, word gets out, and you don't get to make money anymore LOL> so my favorite one was a 1968 Barracuda 340 original we put a built for strep BB in. IT was not a sleeper, we just decided to go big, let people see it, and then just try and knock us off the hill. It really, really hooked on the street, especially our little race area.

I like this one, because we drew huge crowds and huge money for the time. I shot down some big, big names with amazing cars. The closest and highest money making was against an old Anglia with a blow big block. He was faster than me on the track, and I knew it. Even with the massive tire he had on it (this was early in the pro-street movement) I was pretty sure he couldn't get that short wheel base to hook and go straight on the street. I beat him by about 4 lengths on the big end, but had a great hole shot on him.

He and I only had a 100 buck bet between us, but the bets on the sides topped 10k, of which we got 15%, winner 10%. loser 5%

Awesome memory.

The other two cars we purpose built for street racing was a 1969 Coronet R/T which ran low 12s at the track, and probably close on the street with cheater slicks- really hooked great. The other was a 1973 Dart Sport 340, a true sleeper with a really screaming off set grind stroke and bored 360 and it also really hooked with mini-tubs and super stock springs.

Great memories.

The only car in my life I want back is the R/T
Some serious rods for sure !! But I'm glad you addressed in the opening paragraph how a "10 second car" on the street was helpless at launch. It's even amazing at how many 12 flat cars became 13.40 cars on the street once they corked the exhaust and put the slicks in the corner of the garage and the radials went on the back. That 1.79 60 ft became 2.29 once off the prepped track and slicks were no longer on the back.

Some serious rods for sure !! But I'm glad you addressed in the opening paragraph how a "10 second car" on the street was helpless at launch. It's even amazing at how many 12 flat cars became 13.40 cars on the street once they corked the exhaust and put the slicks in the corner of the garage and the radials went on the back. That 1.79 60 ft became 2.29 once off the prepped track and slicks were no longer on the back.

FYI- all of them had cut outs and street slicks for the time. Got tickets for both LOL.

A friends ‘66 chevell, 396, 4 spd, ‘supposedly’ only got beat by a length or less by a ‘71 Superbee ,426 hemi, 4 spd. Doubtful in my mind that it was that close.
Yote
I'm surprised he didn't beat the hemi.
Hemi's weren't known to be KOS cars.

I had a friend in the eighties with a 406 Vega, that I never heard beaten. Narrowed 12 bolt in the back with Caldwell recaps, solid low 11s on the strip, and street. Ran out of Covina/Pomona area, east of L.A. He would beat someone for twenty bucks, then bet them a hundred they couldn't find the nitrous. (.....cause there wasn't any....)
Finally got so much reputation he couldn't get a race, so he headed down to Lemon Grove (SanDiego), drove to the street races, got challenged by a big block camaro on a trailer.... who said he wouldn't give more than two cars..... Boyd beat him by a football field.
He ended up with a shoebox Nova that was on nitrous, running low nines.

It's different today. With all the factory power adders. As well as bolt on power adders. Everyone fast is slow off the line on the street. And of course due to the cheap power of today? 1/8 mi is most one can realistically expect.

Not the same. Too fast. Too dangerous. My 10 sec Duster struggles on the street. Slicks can grab if surface is clean. But with the spooled rear. Need to be very cautious around corners. So easy to break inside tire loose. And you are in the ditch faster than you can say. "I shouldn't have done that!"

Not racing but back in 07 I was 17 years old and a girl in our group had her house to herself for a weekend. So of course she threw a party. On the way there I decided to do a nice burnout on the main drag through town. A cop passed me going the other way and I saw him pull a u turn. I shut off the lights and turned down her street and coasted into her driveway. As soon as I open the door to get out the blue lights come on right behind me. The cop turned off his lights and fallowed me all the way to the party. Ended up being a good sport about it and gave me a warning.

Second one was in 2015. My old man had a 68 fastback mustang with a hot little 302. We were both working on the cars and I took mine out for a test run at the state park up the road. As I am pulling out to head back home he pulls behind me in the Mustang. I light up the tires on the dart and he does the same in his mustang. The next turn I do the same thing again and look behind me to see the blue lights coming through the smoke. At this point I am in front of my dads drive way so I pull in and the cop stops and makes my dad pull in behind me. My mom walked out at the perfect time with my little nephew in her arms and the kid loved cop cars. Got out of that one.

I’ve been pulled over 50+ times (no exaggeration) and gotten three tickets. Plenty of stories and fun memories. I’m also very very lucky to still be alive and one of our crew had the wild nights get the best of him and he will always be 23. Be safe out there boys.

I had a friend in the eighties with a 406 Vega, that I never heard beaten. Narrowed 12 bolt in the back with Caldwell recaps, solid low 11s on the strip, and street. Ran out of Covina/Pomona area, east of L.A. He would beat someone for twenty bucks, then bet them a hundred they couldn't find the nitrous. (.....cause there wasn't any....)
Finally got so much reputation he couldn't get a race, so he headed down to Lemon Grove (SanDiego), drove to the street races, got challenged by a big block camaro on a trailer.... who said he wouldn't give more than two cars..... Boyd beat him by a football field.

Had a "fast and furious" Moment with a Vega once- a guy with a BB Vega lost badly to my R/T, and ran off instead of paying- not a large sum of money either, like 150 bucks. Since there was a side bet thing going, and the "purse" was fairly large, he actually lost money by running away LOL.

How many of you guys in the 80s especially, had pretty organized street racing? Or "cruised the strip"? I really grew up on that, it was a huge part of my life from 15-about 25-26. I had already built my Dart sport 340 by the time I turned 16, the "strip" was our entire summer every summer. Thousands of cars, literally, thousands of kids and grown ups at the same time. the "strip" was killed off by folks bringing guns and using them starting in the 90s. Sad. I never street raced again sometime after the late 80s/early 90s.

The car in my Avatar was built with the strip in mind, and never saw a day there.

How many of you guys in the 80s especially, had pretty organized street racing? Or "cruised the strip"? I really grew up on that, it was a huge part of my life from 15-about 25-26. I had already built my Dart sport 340 by the time I turned 16, the "strip" was our entire summer every summer. Thousands of cars, literally, thousands of kids and grown ups at the same time. the "strip" was killed off by folks bringing guns and using them starting in the 90s. Sad. I never street raced again sometime after the late 80s/early 90s.

The car in my Avatar was built with the strip in mind, and never saw a day there.
I always lived in really small towns. We had "shoot the loop", unless we drove to a bigger town then "cruise the strip" (that had some stop lights.. lol). After a few laps, kids would park their cars and sit on the hoods and yak. Sometimes that would lead to a race. If you were "shoot'n the loop", you could "goose or rev" at a car going by, and that often would lead to a race.

Won the No-Va? ( Spanish Bro told me "Nova" translated to "No-go"

Not racing but back in 07 I was 17 years old and a girl in our group had her house to herself for a weekend. So of course she threw a party. On the way there I decided to do a nice burnout on the main drag through town. A cop passed me going the other way and I saw him pull a u turn. I shut off the lights and turned down her street and coasted into her driveway. As soon as I open the door to get out the blue lights come on right behind me. The cop turned off his lights and fallowed me all the way to the party. Ended up being a good sport about it and gave me a warning.

Second one was in 2015. My old man had a 68 fastback mustang with a hot little 302. We were both working on the cars and I took mine out for a test run at the state park up the road. As I am pulling out to head back home he pulls behind me in the Mustang. I light up the tires on the dart and he does the same in his mustang. The next turn I do the same thing again and look behind me to see the blue lights coming through the smoke. At this point I am in front of my dads drive way so I pull in and the cop stops and makes my dad pull in behind me. My mom walked out at the perfect time with my little nephew in her arms and the kid loved cop cars. Got out of that one.

I’ve been pulled over 50+ times (no exaggeration) and gotten three tickets. Plenty of stories and fun memories. I’m also very very lucky to still be alive and one of our crew had the wild nights get the best of him and he will always be 23. Be safe out there boys.
RIP @23. Sorry for Y'alls Loss Man.

In Anchorage, we had two major streets, four lanes, in mid town Anchorage, one called Northern Lights and the other, Benson. It was a couple four miles depending on what cross street you took to get on one of those two streets. The lights were conveniently about a 1/4 mile apart. However, for the real racing, we would go about a mile away to a place that was slated for development then (now super developed LOL) that had no buildings and open fields with stop lights about 1/4 mile a part, and you could see a long way away for cops. We all had CBs and that was how we arranged everything and kept from getting busted. about 2-3am the racing began typically, and in Alaska, it meant it was light outside LOL.

I have a low 7sec Bike, I used to street race. That's a different deal. Other than the 68 Coronet, I DID race at Gandy, Tyson, Harney, the only other Real Street Killer was a Fiberglass body, tube frame, nitrous car, w/ a full cage. No, my dumbass DIDN'T build that.....

I have a low 7sec Bike, I used to street race. ....
I never could get comfortable enough to be out street racing bikes. I know bikes "feel" faster than they are, so I have no idea how fast but a 850 GS Suzuki or a 650 Nighthawk were fast to me... LOL. I didn't and still don't like racing on two wheels... LOL.

I never could get comfortable enough to be out street racing bikes. I know bikes "feel" faster than they are, so I have no idea how fast but a 850 GS Suzuki or a 650 Nighthawk were fast to me... LOL. I didn't and still don't like racing on two wheels... LOL.
My 77 XLCR was ran almost weekly at Sunshine Speedway in the 90s... but hey, a Sportie's a chick bike.

My 77 XLCR was ran almost weekly at Sunshine Speedway in the 90s... but hey, a Sportie's a chick bike.
My last bike was a '05 Ultra Classic bagger. Fun to ride, but so many folks riding your tail and text'n/driving that I can't relax enough to have fun, even in our remote area.. LOL. I'm bikeless for now.....

Even w/ the rims screwed, the Glass, and tube framed 48 Angela, spun WAY too hard on the street. Even had lean windows. Built by a guy named Jay Smith, outta St Pete, if I remember. Heck, I never put the slicks on it. So I never popped one, but the wheelie bars HAD scars...

Won the No-Va? ( Spanish Bro told me "Nova" translated to "No-go"
Nope, but he did have two white novas. The one was obviously fast.... but he won more money with his sleeper. He had a 66 hardtop, the fast one, and a 66sedan, with a small block with stock exhaust manifolds, one tiny little tailpipe, (real exhaust from the special 2 1/2 manifolds exit concealed under the car) a two barrel (500cfm!) and a single snorkel air cleaner the size of your thumb (with huge holes cut into the bottom you couldn't see), a three speed knob on his four speed, and 406 inches looking for all the world like a 283. Engine covered in grease. Twelve second car that looked like seventeens.......

Nope, but he did have two white novas. The one was obviously fast.... but he won more money with his sleeper. He had a 66 hardtop, the fast one, and a 66sedan, with a small block with stock exhaust manifolds, one tiny little tailpipe, (real exhaust from the special 2 1/2 manifolds exit concealed under the car) a two barrel (500cfm!) and a single snorkel air cleaner the size of your thumb (with huge holes cut into the bottom you couldn't see), a three speed knob on his four speed, and 406 inches looking for all the world like a 283. Engine covered in grease. Twelve second car that looked like seventeens.......
That's pretty sick! That's the Lil Nova "two'"s? The Lil box style?

-
Back