Under carriage/under chassis pics..

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
Strange thread I know. How about some pics of what your car/project looks like either before or after? I am trying to decide on how I want to finish the under side of my 70 Duster so I am looking for some ideas.

Attachments

• 70 Duster Under Jan 2013.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 960
  • 70 Duster Undercarriage Jan 2013.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 927
  • 70 Duster UnderFloors Jan 2013.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 801
blast that entire bottom and paint it body color

mine is just black undercoating LOL

Agreed. I painted mine with Por 15 semi gloss and it turned out pretty nice, but I don't think the black looks as nice as a car that has the undercarriage painted the same as the body.

Here's mine before/after.

056-2.jpg

067-1.jpg

I sandblasted the underside of my Duster and brushed on two coats of Rustoleum Hammered paint. Gray & black. This stuff is tough as nails and at about $14/qt. easy on the wallet. Another plus, I was able to do it in 3 or 4 sections. 2nd coat goes on after about an hour IIRC. I used rattle can undercoating in the wheel wells and trunk pan.
C

Attachments

• DCP_2743.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 679
We discussed this topic on Moparts also. If the car was built at the L.A. plant it had a black dip where other plants used a grey dip(primer). Looking at the pics of my car where the gas tank was mounted. You can see it was black (plus the VIN tells me it was built at the L.A. plant). So I am thinking about going back to semi gloss black on the under carriage. Still not 100% sure but that is the way I am leaning.

A couple of "before" and one "after"...

Attachments

• Phase I 10.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 650
  • 032602-Original-Trunk_Floor_&_Rearend-1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 601
  • 082002-B&W_Undercarriage-1.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 617
did that change at some point? My 64 Valiant was built in LA and is grey under the paint.

We discussed this topic on Moparts also. If the car was built at the L.A. plant it had a black dip where other plants used a grey dip(primer). Looking at the pics of my car where the gas tank was mounted. You can see it was black (plus the VIN tells me it was built at the L.A. plant). So I am thinking about going back to semi gloss black on the under carriage. Still not 100% sure but that is the way I am leaning.

The discussion was around 70-71 LA A-body cars. I have never researched 69-earlier cars for restoration.

I know that 1965 cars has a greenish primer that the car was dipped in before the car had the top coat on. At least on my 65 Dart GT. The strange thing is that on the doors they were dipped about 45 % of the door up. However between the fender and the inner fender was it this greenish primer too!!!!

But I think you should do it the way you want it. Original of just a restoration?

Here's a couple pictures of the bottom of my 65 hamtrak car after I removed the undercoating and pressure washed. This gives a good idea of the gray primer used on the bottom of the car in 1965. Disregard the black, I sprayed that recently before welding in the replacement floor pan from a 65 donor car..

Attachments

• IMAG0039.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 544
  • IMAG0040.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 549
73 Duster with U.S Car Tool frame connectors and the last one is after tubbed and Homemade triangulated 4 link and custom fuel cell cut out.

Attachments

• DSC_0035%20%282%29.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 503
  • DSC_0037%20%282%29.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 513
  • duster%20003.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 520
Resto Rick is selling a urethane top coat that is supposed to match the factory dip primer. But it's $200 per gallon, not including the reducer.
http://www.restorick.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PntPolyDipGray

Here's another option I'm considering. It's $150 per gallon including reducer. And it's available in quarts too.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/Customshop/HRF206.aspx

Looks like it might be darker though.

They also have a Light Gray
http://www.tcpglobal.com/Customshop/HRF205.aspx

Maybe one quart of each and mix them together?

-
Back