Under dash twin speakers

-

highwaystar

Reaction score
Well, I purchased a bracket to mount the twin speakers under the dash. Has anyone got good info on what speakers they might have used? And what is the wiring sequence for a factory radio? Are you using jumpers from one speaker to the next? Anyone got pictures?

Just out of curiosity, any reason people are running the twin speakers as opposed to a single? Years ago my brother had a 69 Charger with the center front speaker and we found a new one that fit, I think it was a Pioneer. It's a weird size, but I think they may still make them. I imagine the twin setup gives you more options though. We ended up hanging on to the speaker and I put it in my Dart without any trouble.

That is a good diagrahm, thanks Moparkid. What one did you try?
The twins do seem to have more options and more watt capability.
I am not running any other speakers, so I am trying to get the most from under the dash.

I just got one of those brackets too! Thanks for the diagram! Is there a diagram showing how to put a newer Stereo in a 74 Duster?! lol.

Well, I purchased a bracket to mount the twin speakers under the dash. Has anyone got good info on what speakers they might have used? And what is the wiring sequence for a factory radio? Are you using jumpers from one speaker to the next? Anyone got pictures?

I think you will find that this bracket was designed to mount Dual Tweeters as apposed to dual coaxials or the like !! I have kick panels w/ 4" speakers and 6x9's in the package tray !As soon as I get a New Head Unit and power supply,I'll be putting the tweeters in !!

Make sure you brace it! Mine was made from 1/8" aluminum, but once installed with tends to vibrate up and down, buzzing and rattling. I put plenty of foam on it, but it still does it. It need stiffening to keep it from flexing, IMO.

Just out of curiosity, any reason people are running the twin speakers as opposed to a single?

The main reason to use two speakers would be if you have a stereo radio and want to retain some semblance of stereo quality. If you're using the original mono AM or mono FM radio the original style single speaker would be a great choice. If the radio you want to use has stereo outputs and you don't want to cut holes for speakers or have unusual speaker boxes showing in your car the twin speakers in the original dash opening is an option. It actually provides reasonable stereo seperation reflecting off of the windshield. Not real high quality, but reasonable. They sound fairly good with some decent coaxial drivers and blocking capacitors to eliminate over driving the small cones. A hidden subwoofer can be utilized to augment those bass notes too.

-
Back