UNDERCOATING SUGGESTIONS

-

71340Duster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has used this 3M product and can give any pointers. I don't have a rotisserie, and I am nowhere near complete with prep, only have aprons close. The guy at Wessco said this product has a great shelf life. I'm also wondering about shooting the product, I don't have water traps and am wondering if I really need them for this stuff?
The questions I have are basically process, questions. Should the whole underside be shot at once? Any tips for doing this with tall jack stands? Any and all comments would be appreciated, from PPE, ventilation, etc. Thanks in advance!

IMG_1519.JPG

Not a direct answer to your question, but if memory serves powerblock tv did a special, one of those help a guy down on his luck restore a car of his dreams events, and they sprayed on a bedliner product while the car was on its wheels in a paint booth. You might find a couple pointers there.

'74 Challenger Part I

Not sure which episode it was on, but here is the link to the first one.

If you're going to climb under a car and do this, you might want to invest in a paint suit even if it's one of the cheap paper ones and a head sock.

Took mine to a z bar dealer and they power washed and z bared the underneath for 250 dollars

We use the Body Schutz on a fleet of Mac trucks in the 80's.I'm guessing that the 544 is a up dated version.Easy to spray. Not much over spray or stuff in the air.Held up well in Pa weather.

Took mine to a z bar dealer and they power washed and z bared the underneath for 250 dollars

That sounds like a good deal and I've heard several times that bed liner and other materials may hold up better. For me, my car is immobile right now, started to put a rebuilt front end in it after some patch work was done to the inner fenders. No engine, trans, driveline etc. in the car. Found surface rust under some, not a lot, of the undercoat. Both aprons ended up being very solid, but I know I have some thin metal on the outside edge of at least the passenger floorboard into the rockers. So I'm thinking take a look at all of it, make it shiny metal and if there's holes in it cut patches/new metal. I realize that any new undercoat I apply isn't going to hold up like the factory, but I want to get down to bare metal and take a look.

Make sure all your body plugs leading inside the trunk and passenger compartment are installed! Ask me how i know!:rolleyes: 3M body shutz and rocker shutz= good stuff for underneath. But its only been on there 2 yrs. It still looks like the day it went on.

Make sure all your body plugs leading inside the trunk and passenger compartment are installed! Ask me how i know!:rolleyes: 3M body shutz and rocker shutz= good stuff for underneath. But its only been on there 2 yrs. It still looks like the day it went on.

I'm curious about your driving conditions, can you tell me what your car's been through for the two years it's been undercoated with 3M?

Great question! I can tell you i've never installed my windshield wipers. I've been caught in the rain a few times(thank god for rainX). It doesn't see snow, but it does see alot of condensation. I store it in a pole building with a concrete floor and no heat. Everything gets wet from the inside out. The pads on the lift dont tear it up. And with two or three coats there is NO WAY a stone could chip it IMO.

While not the 3m product, I did use 2 coats of herculiner inside and out. I cant tell you how solid it is now, and wasnt able to chip any off with a hammer, or do any damage for that matter. It took significant effort with a grinding wheel to clean a few areas for welding. I will always recomend going this route over just paint after my experiences.

Im not sayin paint is a bad thing, just that a liner/rubberized coating adds a little more protection.

My first thought is that Rhino Liner (or something like that) would also help with road noise.

Im going to use Raptor Liner. Under car and trunk and possibly floors too

-
Back