@#^*%%&*%$#& Undercoating!!

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Getting this undercoating off is unreal hard. I sure will be glad when it is done. I've only got the rear wheelwells left to do. I know it protects the car, but you shouldn't have to use a hammer and chisel to get it off. Before you say if it's on that good leave it there. It's not on that good everywhere and I want the whole underside to look uniform when I'm done. @#*&%$# undercoating. :evil:
Venting over. AHHH that felt good.

Jack

I tried a heat gun, sandblasting, varsol and a paint scraper before I settled on a big *** screwdriver and my arms for most of it. The hammer and chisel is only for the real thick stuff that is as hard as concrete.

Jack

It works great with a little propane torch no matter how big and thick the clump. Only took me about 1 hour to do mine. But I also had the car on a rotissarie.

At our shop we strip the undercoating as listed above, with a propane torch with flare end. Steadlily keep the torch ahead of you scraper without burning the undercoat. It literally just drops off the car. I would suggest cardboard on the floor as it will get into everything if you don't.

We do rear frame rails in about 2 hours. Quite easy. You will be mazed just how easy.

Good luck

it will suck..trust me...i was\am doing mine on jackstands and tried the torch and it sucked...hot dripping rubber on you....i went with a hard sandpaper like deal for the grinder and used it its really messy wear ear plugs and goggles and a face mask and it will take it off...

I used an air chisel in my front wheelwells...gotta be careful not to gouge the metal by keeping the chisel flat....then you can use a wire brush on a drill or side grinder to remove the fine stuff left over.

i didn't go over them after chiseling mine though....i thought the new coating would cover/blend....wrong.....of course, i just used truck-bed coating, so i guess i should have known it wouldn't, but it still doesn't look bad...you can see some pics on my site

I plan on sandblasting the entire underside and inside floor pan after I get this crap off. Like I said, I only have the rear wheelwells left to do, so however I do it , it is only one more day. I thought of the air chisel and then remembered some of the other things I've done with it and said, No Way Jose.

Jack

i used trans fluid in a spray bottle put it on the day before and give it time to soak in

-
Back