Undercoating

-

artie727

Reaction score
I have just about removed all the undercoating from my 68 Cuda. The 64 thousand dollar question is, what should I use to recoat with. I don't want to replace it with more undercoating. I want to use something with a shine to it while maintain corrosion resistance, although when I'm done I can't imagine driving it in inclement weather. Should I keep it black?

Artie

Factory they were primer with body color overspray.

Pics of this can be found here…..

http://www.mmcdetroit.com/ICCA/References/Chassis/#pop01

Many paint the entire bottom body color but it is really up to you.

This car had undercoating from bumper to bumper, all fender wells and everything inbetween. I removed it from a tip from another member with a propane torch and a scraper. I have sanblasted it all clean and smooth. The blast will be ok for a while but I will need to seal it before long. I think I may go for the epoxy route. We have a local BLP store I'll check out during da week.

Artie Perilloux
South Louisiana
Where da oil spill is

Man, wheelwells take a beating from stones and debris kicked up by the tires. I plan on replacing my factory undercoating with pick-em-up truck spray-on bedliner. The undercoating also keeps the road noise down...that is if your headers/mufflers are not loud enough.

I am using bed liner as well its really tough and a pain in the *** to get back off.
Andrew

As unattractive as some may find undercoating, that is probably helped your car survive all these years. My dart has many of the common rust issues ... but none underneath the car where it was undercoated. Like fishbreath stated, I've heard several people using truck bed liner instead of undercaosting but I can't even imagine trying to get that stuff off in the future.

I used a kit from Harbor Freight on something
a few years ago and it worked out pretty well
Didn't do the fender wells.A heat gun works better
than a torch for removal

I just got my gallon of chassis saver. Its made by magnet paints. Ive never used it myself but have heard nothing but good reviews. Ill be using it monday on some parts. Ill let ya know how it goes.

heres my 2 cents i have pics if u want of what i did to all my fender wells i beleive if u search undercoating it will come up here . i went to kragens and founds this spray canstuff its sound deadner and undercoating and it worked great its paintable so after u spray it on u can paint it a diff color and still have the durrability this stuff is cool too when u spray it it bubbles up and then ends up looking like original dont know about taking it off but deffinityly hasnt flaked on me or shows damg . i chose to keep it the color it was its a dark grey black it does it purpose i just like looking in and seeing darkness around my tires makes the rims show off more.

-
Back