Unexpected Clearance Issue

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Well I ran into an unexpected issue today I didnt plan on. I dont have room between the radiator and water pump for my electric fan to fit in. I am working on a 66 Dart that originally was a 273/Automtic. I changed engines to a 360 stroked to a 408 and I am using the schumacher conversion mounts. Now the one change I did make was to go with a high volume water pump from NAPA. This changed the discharge outlet from the drivers side to the passenger side. So my radiator had to change as well. I am using a 3 row radiator from Champion and was planning on their shroud and electric fan set up. Its a nice fit on the radiator but today I went to fit everything together and discovered there is only 1 1/2" between the water pump and radiator and the electric fan wont clear. I would need to gain about 2 full inches in order to mount the fan on the engine compartment side of the radiator. I dont see anything allowing that much gain so Im thinking mounting the fan in front of the radiator and using it as a push fan. Its not what I really want to do but I dont see any other way. My question would be has anyone else ran into this problem? and second what are your thoughts about doing a push fan setup instead of the fan pulling air thru? Any other suggestions? I am attaching some photos. Any suggestions are welcomed.
By the way, I am going to have to drop the Radiator about 3/4" for the hood the close without being to close to hitting.
Rod
View attachment PA111455.jpg

View attachment PA111456.jpg

View attachment PA111457.jpg

View attachment PA111460.jpg

i had that problem on my slant kinda. the regular fan wouldnt clear the turbo so i wound up running two 10" fans. they are offset. works pretty good.

The 360 water pump is longer than your original, BUT if you don't use it on the 360 you may have to fiddle around with pulleys to get them to line up...

I had the same problem so I used two fans, one on each side yet left is higher than the right side one which is lower, now I have no problems with that.. You want one big fan? there's your problem..

I have the exact same setup...and problem. 360 in a 65 with the Champion 3 core, 1,5" space between front of pulley and radiator. I want to run electric fans but currently have a flex fan and 1/2" spacer in there. I need a shroud though or a diff pal because temp climbs if I sit too long at a light in this South Florida heat. Maybe two separate elec fans like Hotlines suggest.

I have my electric fan in front of the rad on my volare with 360 using the stock two row rad and have no issues even in stop and go traffic on a hot day 190 thermostat

Which fan from Champion are you using - single or double? I had a tight fit on my 383 a body using their double fan and shroud I figured it would fit perfect but I forgot the motor is offset to the right a little and the pulley bolts hit. Changed them to button heads and ground the plastic on one fan a little - fits but if I ever have to change the belt I'm screwed

the fan I purchased is a single fan. I sent ChallengerGary, the champion rep, an email and he responded right away. He said I can put the fan I bought on the front and just reverse polarity. I may try that but first I am going to see what size fans I could fit with the offset that "hotlines" spoke of. I prefer the fans to pullif possible but it might not be possible.
Rod

We put air conditioning in a 64 Barracuda for a guy with the big rad and installed a pusher.Had to trim a little from the hood latch/grille support to clear. Works well.

I had a large pusher and was still getting too hot, I switched to two 10's and the temp stays in an acceptable range now.

Attachments

• DSC_1038.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 237
that looks close to my clearance. I will check out the 10" fans. Also thanks for the pic. Did you make your own shroud?
Rod

It's a modified champion shroud. I think I got a blem as the holes were opposed to what they are now so I riveted a new sheet to the face and cut new holes.

I have the same problem both the factory and electric fans so I have to use an electric fan in front as a pusher.

-
Back