Unhacking my Duster's wiring

-

Motoblag

Reaction score
My '71 Duster has had a long history of bodging things together. When working on rewiring my electric fuel pump, I found a lack of key-on power and traced it all the way to the fuse block not getting power, no other changes made.

I'm working my way forward and found a rabbit hole to fall in to.

First up: this "connection" in my fusible link for the amp gauge:

PkQWE9Jl.jpg

Where can I get a proper replacement? I think there's a proper one on Classic Industry's site.

Next up: ECU wiring:
xE8YdIjl.jpg

Yup, cut wire. This car originally had points, right? I think it's an electronic ignition now, since there are two wires going to the distributor. What do I check to make sure, pop the cap off and inspect?

Finally, my ballast resistor has an awful lot of connections going to it. I think there should be two less wires.

SWhqtrXl.jpg

The green wire in the ECU connector is not used in the 4 pin ECU and are almost always cut and taped!

I see 5 wires going to the ballast resistor. Not sure if that white wire is going to the left terminal. The other 4 wires should be stock.

Thanks, the white wire on the ballast resistor loops back to the ECU at the 12 o'clock pin (assuming the three pins close to each other is the top).

-
Back