Uni. Joint Problem 2

-

Monaro

Reaction score
Is there a special way to fit the universal joint into the yoke on the diff. section. I have been under the car for hours trying to get the shoulders to bed into the yoke, they go about half way in, I can get 1 strap on but the other side sticks out too much to get the other one on.
Also is there any point in fitting the retaining clips on the strapped section of the rollers?
cheers,
Monaro.

Which way are you speaking of ? Will they not go all the way to the bottom of the seat, OR will they not come together enough onto the joint itself?

You sure you don't have a needle sideways under one cap?

No, I'm talking about both rollers on the universal joint installed on the shaft not fitting completly into the seat of the diff yoke, so that I can't installe both the straps.

No, I'm talking about both rollers on the universal joint installed on the shaft not fitting completly into the seat of the diff yoke, so that I can't installe both the straps.

they should slide in there enough to get the straps on. are you sure you have the right size u-joint caps? i would compare an old one to a new one...

There are two possibilities here.

One is the cap is not sitting down in the U shape of the yoke.

The other is the caps won't come together enough onto the u-joint itself.

If the caps won't fit the U shape then they are too large or you need to clean the seat out in the yoke.

If they won't come together then you might have a pin on it's side under one cap or both. Sometimes the seal on the cap can be a bit hard also which will hold the caps out too far.

These are new uni. joints. Caps are the same size, I will attempted to clean the seats on the yoke.
Are the straps normall strong enought to draw the caps completly into the seat of the yoke?

These are new uni. joints. Caps are the same size, I will attempted to clean the seats on the yoke.
Are the straps normall strong enought to draw the caps completly into the seat of the yoke?

yes they are. once you get all four bolts started, take turns on each one alternating sides turning them in a few threads at a time. they should go on relatively easy. if its binding up, something is wrong. dont force it and strip out the yoke...

I have to agree that it sounds just like a needle laying under the cap sideways.
Either that or the center cross of the joint is just a tad wide, and just because the caps are the same size does not mean it it can't be a wider joint.

Carefully pull those two caps straight off nice and easy.
Look to be sure none of the needle bearings are laying down flat in the cap.
Carefully and slowly ease the caps back on nice and straight.
Afterwards if it still does not fit it's the wrong ujoint.

I have to agree that it sounds just like a needle laying under the cap sideways.
Either that or the center cross of the joint is just a tad wide, and just because the caps are the same size does not mean it it can't be a wider joint.

Carefully pull those two caps straight off nice and easy.
Look to be sure none of the needle bearings are laying down flat in the cap.
Carefully and slowly ease the caps back on nice and straight.
Afterwards if it still does not fit it's the wrong ujoint.

Exactly what I was referring to. It's happened to the best, and the worst LOL of us.

If you got the U joint into the driveshaft itself and got the clips in then it should be the correct joint. The caps against the yoke is an interference fit so they might go in a little hard but it shouldn't be to tight. Clean the crusty stuff out of the seat of the yoke and like Lance said draw them in by alternating around on the cap bolts.

I have 1350 joints in my Demon, and when I tried to put the rear joint in it was just a smidgen off and wouldn't seat in the rear yoke. I took a small die grinder (Dremel tool) and touched both side shoulders on the axle yoke until I got it in. So far, there has been no problems and I hope it stays that way...Just my .02 on the situation.

it's possible the caps have spread outward from the U-joint a little and there's a ridge of gunk on the yoke. if all the needles are as they should be make sure the caps are all the way on

good luck

G'day boys, the auto electrican arrived (to finish a job) as i was just about to crawl back under the car, It looks like I have been putting it on right its just bloody tight, but tomorrow my mate and I am heading off on a bike ride (no women allowed) out west for 3 days (last week of my h'days-5 weeks gone already) so I will leave it there until I come back and clean up the yoke-it appears to be only 1 side that is giving me the problem, I will keep you up to date,
Cheeers,
Monaro.

I have 1350 joints in my Demon, and when I tried to put the rear joint in it was just a smidgen off and wouldn't seat in the rear yoke. I took a small die grinder (Dremel tool) and touched both side shoulders on the axle yoke until I got it in. So far, there has been no problems and I hope it stays that way...Just my .02 on the situation.

DO NOT do as recommended above...

If the caps aren;t seating in the end yoke you have the wrong joint series for the end yoke.

Measure the yoke or post 2 pics of it, one from the side and one looking straight at the pin stem and i'll see what you have,,,

mine didn't want to go straight in they had to be slid in from the sides and onto the posts, like the yoke has a little more than 180 degrees of the circle .

Thanks fellows, the problem ended up being that the yoke was flogged out, the bolts must have worked loose in the past and then been re-tightned. Ordered a new yoke, will let you know how it workes out.
Cheers,
Monaro.

-
Back