Unimpressed with Autometer gauge service

-

DrCharles

Reaction score
Ever since I bought my Autometer 3579 air/fuel gauge via Summit, it has not worked correctly. Instead of starting the engine and having it read within seconds as the sensor warms up, the ONLY way to get it to read was to turn on the key, wait about 30 seconds for the sensor heater, THEN start the engine. (Which is exactly what the instructions tell you not to do). It would then work until key-off. With a restart and the engine hot, it wouldn't even work half the time if I waited.

Yes, I tried another expensive wideband sensor and it did the same thing exactly. The wiring and voltages are correct at the gauge terminals.

So I sent it back for repair to Autometer who signed for it on Sep. 28th. Didn't hear anything, so I just called and got "Max" on the phone. Overall he was rather rude.

He informed me that they checked it in yesterday (a full 8 days after receiving it from FedEx!) and were unable to reproduce the problem. Their solution is to sell me a brand-new replacement gauge for $122. When I protested, he repeated himself and gave me the choice of getting it back unrepaired for free. Because it's outside the 1 year warranty, he could care less.

I bent over and paid the $122 - but the next time I buy an AFR meter it will NOT be one of theirs. Unfortunately I stuck to their Sport-Comp line since it matches my other gauges (which DO work).
Now let's see if the new one even works according to the manual...
YMMV.

Autometer certainly is not what they used to be. Then again, how many products are? Everything is outsourced china junk.

I know that you have to remove the sensor every now and then to let it recalibrate in fresh air. Have you ever done that ?

I know that you have to remove the sensor every now and then to let it recalibrate in fresh air. Have you ever done that ?

No, and Autometer's instructions mention nothing about doing that.

Although every time the car has sat for a week, and I turn the key without starting the engine while the sensor warms up, there is ambient air in the header collector anyway...

I'm not sure this gauge is calibrated that way, since once the sensor is warm (with engine off), the gauge goes to maximum (18 or greater AFR) and not 14.7... ?

Autometer certainly is not what they used to be. Then again, how many products are? Everything is outsourced china junk.

I'm afraid you're right... most of the Autometer gauges that I have in the car now, I actually bought in the 1980's and they work just like always. Of course they're all mechanical (vacuum, oil pressure, coolant temp, and speedometer). The only one I've been having ongoing problems with is this more recent purchase (~ 3 years ago).

I also didn't mention that this is the second gauge/sensor (the first one stopped indicating at all after less than an hour of run-time, so I Summit replaced the whole set for free). THAT is an example of good customer service!

Mine is a Innovative Motorsports MTX-L and it is made by Autometer, It says in the instructions to do that

Mine is a Innovative Motorsports MTX-L and it is made by Autometer, It says in the instructions to do that
If I had an MTX-L that would help.
It's got some other differences besides this calibration procedure - says not to mount it within 24" of the port, and use a 1" deep bung so the sensor tip is barely at the exhaust stream. My gauge says as close as possible to the cylinder head and in the collector for long-tube headers.
The Innovative one is probably a better gauge and more accurate - but I don't like digital numbers for rapidly changing data. I'd rather have an analog pointer (and yes, I know there are LEDs around the outside). Plus my other gauges are Autometer Sport-Comp.
I'll give Autometer one more chance but this one better work!

I have a 1" bung also and a lambda sensor, it is right behind the collector and the #'s don't change that fast that you can't read them. I know what you mean about all the gauges matching.

-
Back