Unique speedo cable?

-

cudamark

Reaction score
Has anyone else discovered that the '66 A-body speedometer cables are unique? I have an NOS cable # 2662733 that I see listed as being the correct cable for a '66, but, it isn't. Besides the housing color, hex fittings on both ends, and the fact that it's too long, it also has too small a firewall grommet. WTF? I've compared this NOS cable with 4 other original '66 cables and that's what I have found. Anyone else have some info on this? I also have another NOS cable with the same part number, and it's different still. It has a black housing, a round knurled fitting on the upper end, and a hex fitting on the lower end. It's also too long for a '66, and has the small grommet too like the gray one. No way to change those grommets near as I can tell without cutting them off and gluing them back together again. I always thought the '66 and '67 used the same cable, but, It seems I'm wrong.

I did change out a speedo cable on a 66 Barracuda with a 67 model cable. I found the 66 Cable was close to 4" shorter than the 67 cable. I purchased a new replacement cable from National Moparts for a 67 as 66 was not in stock and that replacement cable was very close to the length of my original 67 cable. The ends were correct and so was the grommet they supplied.
I figured the length difference was due to early A to later. I didn't realize they should be the same part number.
I garbaged the original cable so I have no part numbers.

I did change out a speedo cable on a 66 Barracuda with a 67 model cable. I found the 66 Cable was close to 4" shorter than the 67 cable. I purchased a new replacement cable from National Moparts for a 67 as 66 was not in stock and that replacement cable was very close to the length of my original 67 cable. The ends were correct and so was the grommet they supplied.
I figured the length difference was due to early A to later. I didn't realize they should be the same part number.
I garbaged the original cable so I have no part numbers.
The factory parts manual shows a different part number between a '66 and a '67, but, some parts suppliers list them together. It's just weird that an NOS Mopar cable with the correct part number for '66, is the wrong cable. The '66 parts manual shows this cable as being the same for all '66 cars, as long as they don't have auto pilot. That struck me as strange too, as I figured B and C body cars would use a longer one than an A-body.

My late '68 cuda has screw-on cable on both ends. I think upper plastic clip-in started in '69.

I don’t know about other years, but the parts stores have the wrong one listed for 69 a body. It is about a foot too long.

I know when I compared both the original 66 A body cable to the 67 A body cable there was about 4" difference in length. I know somewhere I still have an original 67 cable in my storage place, if only I knew exactly where it was I would pull it out.

I ran into the same situation when I needed a speedo cable for a 64 Belvedere wagon I fixed years ago. I put a later model 727 behind the 440 I dropped in it and needed a screw on connector at both ends. Carquest (R.I.P.) had a cut to fit kit that worked great. I'm doing the same kind of later trans swap to a 65 Barracuda now, and hope to find that same kit if Advance still carries it after they bought out Carquest.

-
Back