universal air conditioning and heater

-

rbkt65

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at this the last few days. 71 dart. I will be putting a 5.9 magnum/904 in it. Only be driving it from Mar-Nov. I see a lot of under dash kits with everything, including compressor. Any recommendations from the board. It does not bother me that it is an under dash kit. TIA. Rick w.

Some of the aftermarket stuff make underdash kits that are small than the original OEM and mount sort of in place of them. Classic Air is one, I'm sure others will chime in

Thank you.
Classic Auto Air
Vintage Air
Classic Retrofit
Restomod Air
Are a few, and Jegs sells full AC kits as well.

I just recently put a Classic Auto Air “Perfect Fit” series kit in my 73 Dart.
It wasn’t quite a perfect fit, but close.
Some kits have premade and crimped hoses and some you have to cut and have crimped.
Also most of the blowers are loud as hell when on high, which in 90 plus weather it will have to be.
I made an insulated panel that covers the entire area under the blower from the dash to the firewall and extends almost half way over to the ashtray and it made a huge difference in the blower noise when on high.

IMG_5384.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a Vintage Air in my Challenger. Even fully charged it does not get really cold, but cool. The evap is probably 1/2 the size of an original one and the condenser is mounted right up against the radiator. Yes, they fit the car for the most part, but they are also a compromise. I agree 100% about the loud blower noise too! I got the car with that VA system already installed, but if I could I would have used an OE style setup under the dash, OE condenser, and aftermarket compressor. Pretty doggone hard to beat the OE engineered setup.

-
Back