unlock column w/no key

-

orangecrush

Reaction score
I bought a 72 Swinger - been sitting quite awhile. Owner has lost keys and column is locked. Whats quickest way to unlock column so we can get 'er on the trailer ? Not worried about harm done as I'll be parting out. I'm assuming yanking the switch out and screwdriver or such to turn - but haven't done this one before so need instructions.

I'm crazy i guess. I'd take a bunch of bolts out and turn the entire column or pull the column and steer at the box coupling.

the latter is what i do redfish. and loosen the tranny linkage adjustment bolt to get it in neutral

If you aren't worried about destroying the column (?) I'm sure there's a brutal way to unlock via ignition switch. I'd like to know myself as I have a project with the same condition out back !

Remove the steering wheel and the lockplate, then just lift the lock lever out of the column. Leave the lockplate out and reinstall the steering wheel. Should take you about 15 minutes working carefully, and you won't damage or destroy anything that someone might want to buy in future.

-
Back