Unusual Hemi Timing Setting....

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd like some thoughts on this. I have a local friend with a 70 Hemi Superbird clone. Really nice car. He's been having lots of trouble pretty much ever since he got the engine in the car and has wanted me to see if I could get it running better for quite some time and we were just now able to get together all day yesterday afternoon.

Here's the engine rundown. 512 Hemi based on the 2nd generation (426) design. 10.5 compression. Aluminum heads, hydraulic roller camshaft, 243 and 255 @ .050. 2 Edelbrock 750s. Passon 5 speed transmission and 3.73 gears. He's always had trouble with the car chugging at part throttle, being difficult to start when hot and just generally running very poorly.

So I got to checking everything. The first thing I noticed was the timing seemed "funny" somehow. I could not get a good reading on it with a light. I finally said "screw it, I'm gonna try setting it by ear" and I did. I kept backing the timing down about 2 or so degrees at the time until I got to the point where the engine started running MUCH smoother and you could actually hear the camshaft. When I did that, I hit the balancer with the light and BAM there was a SECOND timing mark. They had been using the WRONG timing mark the whole time.

Just to make sure, we found TDC and sure enough, that second mark was the correct one. So now we had a good base reference for timing. Here's where it gets "a little" strange. This engine is VERY happy with "only" 6 degrees initial and "about" 26 "or so" total. And I mean it will get down and boogie. It will slap light um up now and he said it's never done that before. Starts very easy when hot, idles good and you can really hear the camshaft countin um off. It sounds really good. We have a little tuning to do on the carburetors as it's still rich at idle. I put in some lighter springs to get the metering rods on the lean step at idle, but they need some bigger metering rids to lean it down more. He also has a pair of Edelbrock 600s and we may go to those, if it looks like we will have a lot of trouble tuning the 750s.

But what about that timing? Can we attribute it to the Hemi heads being so efficient? The aluminum heads? I would have THOUGHT it would need more than that, but you can tell the timing is RIGHT now. Seems strange, but I admit, I've not tuned on that many Hemi engines.

I would check rotor phase
Does it have MSD box?
I don't remember old hemis (hell, you know THIS you can look it up in the service manuals) but the 3G hemis use WAY WAY less timing (20-ish or less I'm told) than wedges

RRR, Just a thought, have you checked the balancer to make sure the outer ring hasn't twisted?

I wonder where the valve timing is? (if it runs that well it really doesn't matter but just curious) I advanced the valve timing when I built my 273 and it only likes about 6° initial timing . My total is around 32°.

Hard to imagine having a hemi car that couldn't light the tires. That must've been incredibly frustrating for the guy. Glad you made some progress.

If it’s stinkin rich at idle you may find some correlation to wanting less timing. Once you start leaning it out and making it more efficient it may want more timing with the leaner mixtures. Or, you might just be in the sweet spot with the confines of the intake design and camshaft overlap.

RRR, Just a thought, have you checked the balancer to make sure the outer ring hasn't twisted?
Yup. That was my first thought. It's dead on. Plus it's new.....I know that doesn't mean good, but it is. lol

I wonder where the valve timing is? (if it runs that well it really doesn't matter but just curious) I advanced the valve timing when I built my 273 and it only likes about 6° initial timing . My total is around 32°.
I can actually find that out. He has the build sheet which includes all of that.

I would check rotor phase
Does it have MSD box?
I don't remember old hemis (hell, you know THIS you can look it up in the service manuals) but the 3G hemis use WAY WAY less timing (20-ish or less I'm told) than wedges
No sir. This is 100% Mopar style electronic ignition.

So did you check actual TDC using the positive stop method ?
I was not able to find my piston stop but we put a screwdriver right down on #1 and turned the engine by hand slowly and got it to TDC. So esentially, yes.

That will get you to a few degrees but not real accurate. There is a lot of duration at TDC and that is why you have to go both ways to find the center of TDC.

That will get you to a few degrees but not real accurate. There is a lot of duration at TDC and that is why you have to go both ways to find the center of TDC.
I know. We used what we had and I can tell you it's right.

I'd like some thoughts on this. I have a local friend with a 70 Hemi Superbird clone. Really nice car. He's been having lots of trouble pretty much ever since he got the engine in the car and has wanted me to see if I could get it running better for quite some time and we were just now able to get together all day yesterday afternoon.

Here's the engine rundown. 512 Hemi based on the 2nd generation (426) design. 10.5 compression. Aluminum heads, hydraulic roller camshaft, 243 and 255 @ .050. 2 Edelbrock 750s. Passon 5 speed transmission and 3.73 gears. He's always had trouble with the car chugging at part throttle, being difficult to start when hot and just generally running very poorly.

So I got to checking everything. The first thing I noticed was the timing seemed "funny" somehow. I could not get a good reading on it with a light. I finally said "screw it, I'm gonna try setting it by ear" and I did. I kept backing the timing down about 2 or so degrees at the time until I got to the point where the engine started running MUCH smoother and you could actually hear the camshaft. When I did that, I hit the balancer with the light and BAM there was a SECOND timing mark. They had been using the WRONG timing mark the whole time.

Just to make sure, we found TDC and sure enough, that second mark was the correct one. So now we had a good base reference for timing. Here's where it gets "a little" strange. This engine is VERY happy with "only" 6 degrees initial and "about" 26 "or so" total. And I mean it will get down and boogie. It will slap light um up now and he said it's never done that before. Starts very easy when hot, idles good and you can really hear the camshaft countin um off. It sounds really good. We have a little tuning to do on the carburetors as it's still rich at idle. I put in some lighter springs to get the metering rods on the lean step at idle, but they need some bigger metering rids to lean it down more. He also has a pair of Edelbrock 600s and we may go to those, if it looks like we will have a lot of trouble tuning the 750s.

But what about that timing? Can we attribute it to the Hemi heads being so efficient? The aluminum heads? I would have THOUGHT it would need more than that, but you can tell the timing is RIGHT now. Seems strange, but I admit, I've not tuned on that many Hemi engines.
Nice work Rusty. You probably saved that engine from getting damaged.

I always give the engine what it wants, not what is wrote down in any shop manual.

Nice work Rusty. You probably saved that engine from getting damaged.
It's entirely possible. We're going to focus on the carburetors next.

Oh and the fluttering it's doing on hard acceleration now, we're thinking maybe ignition coil. We've checked everything else. It does act like ignition. I think he's going to put another coil on himself and try it. Next time we mess with it, I'll get some pictures. It's a cool car.

I don't have first-hand experience with 2G Hemis but some thoughts on why this particular one requires such low ignition advance... Mostly pertaining to how it's a big stroker engine; strokers in general need less advance due to the rod-length-to-stroke ratio being lower. Also because of the longer stroke the dome on the piston doesn't need to be as big to have decent compression so it probably doesn't obstruct flame travel like on a stock-stroke 426 Hemi. Since the spark plug is near center of the chamber the flame doesn't need to travel as far which we all know is an advantage of Hemi chambers.

Quick web search found some forum posts of guys with big-inch Hemis having 32-34* total timing but they were in the 572-605" range which I believe has a bigger bore than a 512 would, if the 512 is based on stock-ish bore size. IIRC much bigger than that needs the Mega block with the oversize siamese bores which would then of course require more ignition advance.

For early, 1st gen, Hemis, initial timing @ 20 degrees BTDC, 30 degrees BTDC total. Can run a full point higher than wedge heads. Per Bob Walker @ Hot Heads Research. I have yet to verify on my own. Pistons spec'd to 10:1 on both my Desoto Hemis. Maybe this year... Not sure on 2nd gen, but assume close to the same.

I wouldn't call the Hemi a 'stroker' @ 3.75". All the other BB engines have longer strokes.
BB Chev, 4"; Pontiac 455 4.21"; Buick 455 3.9" ; Olds 455 4.125"; Ford 460 3.85"; Cad 472 4.06

-
Back