UPDATE! 71 Demon SRT6

-

Hammer

Reaction score
So guys; its been awhile since I've posted on here. But I come bearing gifts(or pictures, rather). The header is done!! :cheers: It looks great! Put about 15 hours into the inner fender and firewall in preparation for the engine's return. Took out the stock wiring harness and began installing a new one. Battery has been relocated to the trunk. So look at the pictures and give me some feedback (I could use the motivation) :coffee:

Attachments

• demon 005.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 686
  • demon 004.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 694
  • demon 006.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 687
  • demon 007.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 680
  • demon 008.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 677
  • demon 010.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 669
When I first read the title I thought someone actually put a SRT6 engine in an abody. Looks pretty cool. Anyone making an FI setup for the slant6?

I think that looks great. You definitely need a video of the car running balls out when its done!!!

The turbo is a custom built turbo pieced together specifically for this build(ie RPM range, size, application). But I can tell you its pretty close resemblence to a Buick GNX turbo. I'm only running 8psi of boost; but my turbo guy said this one could make as much as 25psi in this engine. As far as specs for the engine; I'll get back to you(I just came across the cam specs the other night while organizing). And fanofpetty; thank you for the notice. It IS different(which IS the name of the game to me). The whole idea is to make a car that looks like something Dodge might of actually made. So that header is actually closely designed toward the stock manifold, with the collector cut off and a flang put on(like the way a few other people have run turbos) Dodge's first SRT car....

"It IS different(which IS the name of the game to me)."

I like your thinking, "DARE TO BE DIFFERENT" !! THAT'S WHAT I GO BY !! Looks like you should have some fun with that badd boy !! Where'd you get the Exhaust Manifold ??

That's really neato man. Good job.

"It IS different(which IS the name of the game to me)."

I like your thinking, "DARE TO BE DIFFERENT" !! THAT'S WHAT I GO BY !! Looks like you should have some fun with that badd boy !! Where'd you get the Exhaust Manifold ??

I was told(by the person who built the header) to say I got it at the junk yard :^o haha...today i took the header back out to the shop and started buffing it out. About 6-10 more hours into this thing and its gonna look really nice(no pics yet, sorry). One thing I am worried about is the heat from this thing on my starter and whatnot. The intake I plan on getting powder coated to help keep away some heat...but Ive seen on some of the other turbo /6 builds, exaust tape being used? Any other turbo guys know if this will be necesary for this build??

I was told(by the person who built the header) to say I got it at the junk yard :^o haha...today i took the header back out to the shop and started buffing it out. About 6-10 more hours into this thing and its gonna look really nice(no pics yet, sorry). One thing I am worried about is the heat from this thing on my starter and whatnot. The intake I plan on getting powder coated to help keep away some heat...but Ive seen on some of the other turbo /6 builds, exaust tape being used? Any other turbo guys know if this will be necesary for this build??

This is what I have to wrap mine,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DEI-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I would refrain from wrapping it. Wraps often come undone and cause the pipes to retain moisture as well as crack. Consider having the pipe coated by swaintech. Probably the absolute best way to keep the heat in the pipe so it can spool the turbo faster and keep the underhood temps down! http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10296

I think I'm gonna refrain from coating the header. Too expensive for me right now. It has been worked on this week a lot to get it sanded and polished. Let me tell you; workin' with stainless steel is NOT a joke!:tongue8: Its being slowly but steadily made into a very nice piece. That swantech stuff looks cool tho.
I also worried about the starter getting fried. The starter wasn't in the pictures, but it runs just below the header's bottom log. Then to add to this, the turbo's downpipe(also not in pictures) will most likely run just in the other side. So some debate about a heat shield on the header(to come between the starter and header). It will look really cool, but I'm worried about the heat "shield" acting like a heat sink and making things hotter.:glasses9:

Attachments

• 100_0111.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 479
  • 100_3266.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 445
  • 100_3380-2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 448
  • image0-3.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 418
This thread has inspired me to open my search up for /6 cars as well as the v8 cars. Keep up the good work!

I think they (/6 with a turbo) are the best bang for the buck out there!!!

Just my opinion, but, look around....

Here's our "work in progress"

Attachments

• js640_scan0043.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 412
  • valbert1-5.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 398
  • js640_js640_turboside.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 385
  • js640_turbofront.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 418
I think they (/6 with a turbo) are the best bang for the buck out there!!!

Just my opinion, but, look around....

Here's our "work in progress"

has been for awhile bill! lol just kidding! i wanna see some tape of this thing!

This thread has inspired me to open my search up for /6 cars as well as the v8 cars. Keep up the good work!

That's cool to hear! Whenever I think about how different this build is(I mean let's be serious; if this site represents half of ppl with turbo /6's, that means there are like 20 in the country? Haha. And then NONE of those sre demons(that I've seen. It gets me excited to have something unique that people will look at and go "what the F is that!?".

Sorry if these pictures suck. There off my phone. Got the oil pan taken off and drilled. Had to dremel it to the right size hole(pretty big for the return line). Then fitted with the 10AN bulkhead fitting. Put the pan back on and taped it off for new paint tomorrow. Better photos then.

Attachments

• oil pan1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 355
  • oil pan2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 342
Sorry if these pictures suck. There off my phone. Got the oil pan taken off and drilled. Had to dremel it to the right size hole(pretty big for the return line). Then fitted with the 10AN bulkhead fitting. Put the pan back on and taped it off for new paint tomorrow. Better photos then.

You may want to rethink the oil drain. Looks like it will be below the oil level in the pan which will not allow it to drain correctly............The oil seals in the turbo will take a dump just about instantly if that is the case.

Since the pan is off you should level it and fill it with water in quarts like if the pan was full of oil to make sure. You should be about 1" above the fill line to the bottom of your oil drain.

-
Back