Update on My 64 Dart project

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Finally have some paint squirted on, engine compartment and trunk. The rest of the car ill be squired next weed sans the hood. We are working on an all metal custom scoop for the hood.

MVC-013F.JPG

MVC-014F.JPG

MVC-009F.JPG

VERY COOL!!! Gives me inspiration to cut into my 64 Dart GT.

I am very interested in your plans for the scoop. I have thought it would be cool to follow the factory bump in the 63/64 hoods with about a 3 inch raise...even cooler if we could somehow preserve the chrome molding.

Do you have any pics yet?

Thanks for the update!

Clint S
San Gabriel, CA

oldmoparsrule said:
VERY COOL!!! Gives me inspiration to cut into my 64 Dart GT.

I am very interested in your plans for the scoop. I have thought it would be cool to follow the factory bump in the 63/64 hoods with about a 3 inch raise...even cooler if we could somehow preserve the chrome molding.

Do you have any pics yet?

Thanks for the update!

Clint S
San Gabriel, CA

That's exactly what I'm doing, raising the height of the rise in the hood. I want an all metal job, no glass. My thought it would be similar to those 427 Fairlane scoops that open up on the fron of the hood. Haven't started yet. My budy wants to get the body painted first so i can start putting the car together.

car is looking great...

keep us posted and im all over the hood thing, do you have any pictures of what you want it to look like? ( pic of one on another car )

Cerwin

My buddy sprayed it yesterday, he called me while i am on the road to tell me it turned out really nice. Only glitch was a damn fly decided to land on the quarter but it can be cut and buffed. I'll get some pics on when I get back from Fall Fling.

A fly landed on the quarter? That must have been one stupid or blind fly. They usually land dead center on the hood, just as you're running your final coat of clear right over the little pecker. :)

We don't have many fly'z down yher in Lousianer......THA SKEETERZ EAT'UM ALL!!......

I never seen a paint job down yher witout sum type ov kritter, or footprints in it.....An we won't even go to tha "Luv Bug" deel...

Well guys it's been awhile since I posted so I'll update everyone on my progress. As I stated earlier the car has been painted. I now have it in the shop where last weekend I completely yarded out the front end. Man, that thing was a mess. The K member and the control arms are being hot tanked and shot blasted. I was planning on powdercoating everything but decided on bombing with Hammerite gloss black. I have all the suspensinn parts ready, just have to order a few more things. I may need a new pitman arm so I'll have to find one of those. Haven't had any luck looking here locally so I'll have to search the internet. I have a big order about ready for Yearone that I'll make on Monday, seals, gaskets etc. I ordered a pair of drum brake set-ups for the rear from Dr Diff and they came today. I'll be re-drilling my rotors tomorrow for BBP with 3" X1/2 " studs. Everything seems to be coming along. I'll be plumbing my brake lines and fuel line next week. I'll try and have some pics tomorrow. Oh, by the way I bagged the idea of modifying the hood. I saw a Dart with it's hood modified and I didn't like it. I may go with a Ram Air setup

dart4forte said:
Well guys it's been awhile since I posted so I'll update everyone on my progress. As I stated earlier the car has been painted. I now have it in the shop where last weekend I completely yarded out the front end. Man, that thing was a mess. The K member and the control arms are being hot tanked and shot blasted. I was planning on powdercoating everything but decided on bombing with Hammerite gloss black. I have all the suspensinn parts ready, just have to order a few more things. I may need a new pitman arm so I'll have to find one of those. Haven't had any luck looking here locally so I'll have to search the internet. I have a big order about ready for Yearone that I'll make on Monday, seals, gaskets etc. I ordered a pair of drum brake set-ups for the rear from Dr Diff and they came today. I'll be re-drilling my rotors tomorrow for BBP with 3" X1/2 " studs. Everything seems to be coming along. I'll be plumbing my brake lines and fuel line next week. I'll try and have some pics tomorrow. Oh, by the way I bagged the idea of modifying the hood. I saw a Dart with it's hood modified and I didn't like it. I may go with a Ram Air setup

Here are some pics I took today

64 dart painted 1.JPG

64 Dart Painted 2.JPG

64 Dart Painted 3.JPG

64 Dart Painted 4.JPG

64 dart painted 5.JPG

It snowed today so I didn't want to move it outside because I was affraid I'd lose it.

That looks good John. You will bring it to Salem and Woodburn next July won't you? That would get lost in the snow. I do like white cars. Ray

LM23P9B said:
That looks good John. You will bring it to Salem and Woodburn next July won't you? That would get lost in the snow. I do like white cars. Ray

I plan on taking it to Springfling. Not sure about Woodburn next year, it falls on our 30th

OldVart said:
Way to go dart4forte! Man, now it's starting to look like a car again! You should be very proud of yourself for the progress you've made on that baby. :)

Thanks for the kind words from everyone. I just finished ordering a bunch of stuff from Yearone, Legendary, HP Magnum. All those small parts sure do add up. I'm in the process of looking for a aluminum rad for the car. I'll probably need some suggestions on this end of the build. My buddy whose building the motor flowed the duel 4 intake yesterday. For a low tech, old school Offy intake it flowed 207 cfm at .500" of lift. He's going to mate it to one of my heads and test again. Our goal is to at least hit the 215" mark with at least 110% velocity. With the cam that I'll be running, that little 273 should scream. If a stock eliminator 273 2bl can run 13:30's I'm sure I can get this 273 to run at least that.

Finally got my LCA pivots from the Magnum so now I can get everything pressed in and start the re-assembly process. As far as the engine the heads are done and have been flowed and CC'd. The flow numbers look really good. The port velocity ended up at 115%, pretty good for such small runners. I won't go into details, all I can say is that Jim knows his stuff. He calculated the final CR will be 9.6 to 1 with the thicker gasket. Plenty for a street/strip car

Very nice. My last attemp at painting a car, a large spyder came down from the ceiling, and landed right in the middle of the hood. I had to imobilize it with the spray from the gun. Not my car, and I think the spyder may still be there. I let my son do all the painting now. Keep posting pic's. Howard

howco4 said:
Very nice. My last attemp at painting a car, a large spyder came down from the ceiling, and landed right in the middle of the hood. I had to imobilize it with the spray from the gun. Not my car, and I think the spyder may still be there. I let my son do all the painting now. Keep posting pic's. Howard

Thanks, not much to post as far as pics right now. I ahve to get the control arms back from the shop that is pressing the bushings on before I can hit the front end. My plan for this weekend is to plumb my fuel and brake lines, get the pig installed and finish up installing the axles and rear brakes. I'll have to get a pic of the rear brake assemblies I got from DrDiff. Real quality work.

As some on the board knows I'm building this 64 Dart post car. It will have a hot 273/4 speed with 4:30 gears. The body work/paint are done and I'm now in the process of putting it back together. It's beeen a constant series of setbacks trying to get all the parts that will be needed to finish the car. I was over at the shop where the engine is being done and lo and behold while looking at the short block I noticed that the casting number is 5-13-66. My buddy has a book that has all of the old calenders and sure enough the block was cast Friday the 13th of May, 1966. I always wondered about this particular block in that the date is the only stamping on the block. How weird can that be!!!!!

Well guys I have the rearend completed, fuel and brake lines plumbed. On hold on the front end reassembly. I need to get the correct upper A arms. Ordered the TTII's last week, should have them next week. Hopefully I'll have the car rolling by mid January. The short block is together. I'll be taking the carbs out of packaging and setting them up with fuel lines. We may dial them in on my buddies car.

Got some pics of the completed short block, windage tray, scraper etc. We mocked up everything yesterday with intake/carbs and headers. Can't wait until I get this big block killer on the track

-
Back