update pictures on 1966 dart /318

-

scottsman

Reaction score
here are the pictures , think mounts and brackets are all wrong spent $250 dollars on paper weights. ready to give up haven't worked on cars in 40 years and don't remember much. There is a convertion kit in yearone but don't know the number to buy rx69,r? and I don't want to buy again and have it wrong for the fourth time. help me guys

Attachments

• IMG_20140914_155750.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20140914_155809.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20140914_155556.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20140914_155641.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_20140914_155444.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20140914_155721.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 224
Check here http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsYear/63.66aBody.html to see what the mounts should look like. For more info click on the installation instructions link. You can do this swap with stock '64-'66 273 mounts. If you are replacing a slant you will need a V8 center link if you don't already have one. Looks like your oil pan should work, what's the problem with it?

Looks like you have the 67 and newer mounts. They are too thin. scottsman is going through the same kind of problems. Here's a link: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=290145

Here's a photo of my 66-273 with the stock pan and proper mounts and the dropped center link. tmm

Attachments

• engine 220.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 100_4779.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 205
  • engine 179.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 215
Scottsman,
The pan looks like it will work. If you have a 66 Dart, the centerlink should work. You'll just need new motor mount brackets and the rubber mounts. You don't need the Shumacker conversion kit. Someone on the sight should be able to supply the brackets at a reasonable price. Check Rock Autoparts for the mounts. I'll have to look up the generic part numbers.

Scottsman,
The pan looks like it will work. If you have a 66 Dart, the centerlink should work. You'll just need new motor mount brackets and the rubber mounts. You don't need the Shumacker conversion kit. Someone on the sight should be able to supply the brackets at a reasonable price. Check Rock Autoparts for the mounts. I'll have to look up the generic part numbers.

Checked Rock Auto and the mounts they list are DEA A-2266 which are wrong. They are for '67-'72 A bodies. The correct mount is part number A-2338. The only place I have found that has the correct replacement mounts is Schumacher. The pan scottsman has is fine but it will hit his slant center link. The early A's were designed originally as a slant 6 only car. The steering bits were kept as straight as possible for ease of manufacture. When the 273 rolled around it was discovered that the oil pan was in the way of the center link so a dedicated V8 center link went into production. This was remedied when the A body redesign came out in '67 and the chassis went back to one size fits all...

Checked Rock Auto and the mounts they list are DEA A-2266 which are wrong. They are for '67-'72 A bodies. The correct mount is part number A-2338. The only place I have found that has the correct replacement mounts is Schumacher. The pan scottsman has is fine but it will hit his slant center link. The early A's were designed originally as a slant 6 only car. The steering bits were kept as straight as possible for ease of manufacture. When the 273 rolled around it was discovered that the oil pan was in the way of the center link so a dedicated V8 center link went into production. This was remedied when the A body redesign came out in '67 and the chassis went back to one size fits all...

Agreed- ddartdude stated that in 66 they only used the dropped V-8 link on all cars. I have a 66 Dart /6, 3speed, radio/heater delete car and it has the /6 straighter center link. I also have a 66 Valiant with a /6, auto and it has the same /6 center link. I sold my first car, a 66 Valiant with a /6 and when I put in the V-8, had to change the center link to clear the pan. I have few 65 and 66 V-8 cars that have the drop link, so I know what they look like and can compare.

As far as the correct rubber isolators, I see them on E-bay all the time for $30-$40 a pair.
There should be several on their now. The hard part is the mount brackets. I see them from $65-150 all the time. Just be patient.

Scottsman- Post a few pictures of your center link.

This was a few years ago, but I went to my carquest local parts store and was able to order the correct rubber mounts. You might try that instead of mail ordering...

I will try to picture that tonight . Meanwhile are the mounts and brackets the same 273/318
Pulled up engine-swaps. If I by mounts will brackets I have line up?

I will try to picture that tonight . Meanwhile are the mounts and brackets the same 273/318
Pulled up engine-swaps. If I by mounts will brackets I have line up?

No, Bracket and mounts are different 64-66, then 67-72. You will need the 64-66 setup to work with your K member.

scottsman, The 273 and 318 use the same brackets since the mounting ears on the block are the same. That's why you can use stock '64-'66 273 brackets and mounts for your swap. The swap kit on engine swaps has the brackets and mounts for $144. Not a bad deal considering, but you have to buy replacement mounts from them since their brackets won't work with stock replacements...

I took this photo from another member's old listing on here

Attachments

• 64-66 motor mounts.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 64-66 2 motor mounts.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 166
Notice how in part of the "U" ,past the bend,in the middle is covered with metal, welded to each side.
Different than the ones you have.

I took this photo from another member's old listing on here

Scottsman,
The brackets shown are correct with the following exception. The mount shown on the right must have been used to install a 340 in a 64-66 A-Body. I have a mounting bracket that someone welded an ear on that would eliminate that long bolt on a 340 install. So the you would not use that long bolt/spacer on the 273.

I have 2 numbers for the 273 rubber mounts. One is 2303 and the other is 2338. The same part number is used on both sides.
Alan

This is the V8 center link. It drops down 1 1/2" in tthe center. The slant 6 is almost straight across.

Attachments

• 20140915_143819.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 111
-
Back