Updating a driver.

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
So what updates have you done to your car to make it a more friendly, more enjoyable driver ?

I have a list I would love to do to my Dart. My biggest thing is to update it with out losing the factory look.

I would love to add a factory sunroof and or A/C

what have you guys done ? electrical, brakes suspension comfort ?

Come on, I know you guys dont just have a stock ride sitting in the garage.

LOL, The Duster was just given by a old school freind of mine two auto meter gauges, temp and oil pressure, both mechanical gauges with chome cups. They might get to the cowl area, they might make the dashboard, I dunno.

But I also have a drum to disc swap about ready to go.

Then, when the mood strikes, I'll be bolting the Holley 1850 converted to a 4150 - 600 cfm) back on for a general tuneing. I still have to get back to the strip with the 625 Carter on top and dial the carb & distributor in better.

Then the base line will be set for the carb swap.

suspension for sure. the usual stuff, kyb's all around. next stage up on the torsion bars. replace all rubber bushings, add the stiffer tie rod ends. rearched the rear spings on one and replaced the springs on another. upgraded to bigger bolt pattern along with disc brakes in front and 10 by 2 1/2 inch drum brakes in rear. added front swaybar to the wifes dart. all together made a world of difference to both cars. i also had the seats in the demon respung with heavier springs. i plan on doing this with the wifes dart as well. i always thought the factory had the springs alittle to soft. i like a firmer seat so it can wear in some and not be like i'm sitting on the floor....

Although it's still in the planning stages, my 65 slant 6 Dart wagon is getting a 340/904 with 8 & 3/4 rear, front and possibly rear disc brakes, 65 Barracuda front/rear interior, possibly a complete 65 Barracuda front clip, a complete dash from a 66 Formula S (since the dash was AC-equipped adding factory air)), and possibly grafting a sliding metal sunroof from a VW Jetta (the roof contour where the sunroof is located is virtually identical to the wagon roofline). Although I say in the planning stages, I do have all the aforementioned stuff to do the swap (when the weather turns warmer!). Might be a few minor items, but that's the major stuff.

My car has big bolt disc all ready. I may some day get some big bolt axles for the rear and update the drums to 11". Bigger T vars and a firm feel box are on my list as well as adjustable strut rods, C body tie rods and sway bars.

My car also has a 4 spd over drive tranny. My main concern is to not add anything that doesnt look stock.

Hi Adam, I'm using your sway bar in the front, disks off a 74 and a CAP ucl. The back has a new sway bar this year and 11x2 1/2 drums. The headlights have relays driving them now and what a difference. I've got a new x pipe exhaust to put in and a smaller bore master cyl. It's a blast to drive through the mountains, I'm going to put the 4 spd back in next year, I'll be using the OD cast iron one this time. Then sooner or later there is a 91 360 on the engine stand waiting to be built. I'm looking for pistons for that one now.

Torsion bars, sway bar, drum to disk swap, beefier steering wheel, and I am going to be making some modifications to the front buckets for comfort because I plan on driving the hell out of it to as many events as possible starting next spring.

It`s hard to think of it on a day like today (butt cold with 25mph wind) but I would like an aftermarket A/C in my convertible, like Classic Auto Air. That`s a definite in the far off future. If my 904 is toast then I might put an OD transmission in.

So what updates have you done to your car to make it a more friendly, more enjoyable driver ?

I have a list I would love to do to my Dart. My biggest thing is to update it with out losing the factory look.

I would love to add a factory sunroof and or A/C

what have you guys done ? electrical, brakes suspension comfort ?

I know I'm sorta off topic here, but "friendly and enjoyable driver" can be subjective..:-D ... We're going the complete opposite way with the Duster.. Planning on ...

1. converting to manual steering
2. removing front sway bar
3. replacing front fenders and hood w/ fiberglass
4. deleting heater, radio, back seat, and 50 pounds from drivers gut !!!

We're gonna keep all the original parts, but we're pretty much planning on driving pretty much in a straight line next year :thumleft:

Swapped to power steering and installed a smaller steering wheel. Swapped the 4:10's it had in it when I got it for 3:73's. Disc brake conversion up front and ceramic brake shoes on the back. Stops real good for manual brakes. Jammin stereo. 3 way adjustable shocks so I can cruise comfortably and when I go to the track make it hook better. Dyna mat to keep the noise and floor temps down. The seats it had in it were wrong and were junk when I got it. Couldn't find the correct seats and wanted to get it driving so I went to the junkyard and picked up a real nice set of reclining seats with lumbar adjustments out of a Mitsu eclipse. They don't look original but they look decent and man are they comfortable.

I know I'm sorta off topic here, but "friendly and enjoyable driver" can be subjective..:-D ... We're going the complete opposite way with the Duster.. Planning on ...

1. converting to manual steering
2. removing front sway bar
3. replacing front fenders and hood w/ fiberglass
4. deleting heater, radio, back seat, and 50 pounds from drivers gut !!!

We're gonna keep all the original parts, but we're pretty much planning on driving pretty much in a straight line next year :thumleft:

I've done those upgrades, They werent as fun as I thought.

Tons, to come anyway. Starting in two weeks, WOOHOO! Almost don't know where to start the list though...
8 3/4 with a nice highway gear, A518, 5.7 Hemi, RMS Alterktion & LinkSys, Viper brakes up front (hopefully out back too), either FR500 style or Viper BBS style wheels, Dakota Digital guages, Classic Auto Air A/C, custom console with combo LCD GPS/Stereo/CD/DVD, GOOD speakers all around, dynamat, high back bench (if I can find one), custom upholstery from Legendary when the design center is up, Tuff Wheel, overhead console from some late model donor ride to go with the custom headliner (I do not dig the vinyl headliners), H4 Headlight conversion, I'm sure there is more too but that's what is on top of the head for now.

Firm Feel stage 2 box when I swapped from manual was my best improvement for driving. Parking lots are way easier. In hind sight a stage 3 would have been nicer.

Addco 1 5/8 swaybar upfront made the car cornerable.

Not stock looking but I swapped to the aluminum body plastic reservoir master cylinder. No leaks and a firmer pedal.

I'm going to do the electrical upgrades mentioned earlier like bypass the ammeter and run relays for the headlights.

Mine's a 69 B'cuda FB. Here's a short list:
Disc brakes!
.990 t-bars,poly-graphite susp.,kyb shocks,ss springs
Frame connecters,front sway bar,Hellwig rear is here(not on yet)
Dual field alt(w/bypass) headlite relays
New int. w/lots of sound insulation
New stereo w/cd and a big amp
Drivetrain: LD 470",833,3:73,alum.rad,centerforce clutch,CPPA headers,3" w/x-pipe,flowmaster 50's, 3" TTI tailpipes
Car is a hoot to drive,ride quality is decent, can't wait to get the rear swaybar on I know it will help!

-
Back