Updating the ignition system

-

Kikowillers

Reaction score
G'day mates,

My Dart runs a stock 318 with a 2 bbl Holley which I just installed. I'll also be installing a set of headers and a 2.5" exhaust system with a couple of dynomax VTs.

So now it's time to work on getting a better spark.

What's the best ignition setup for a stock engine (maybe leaving some room for a possible intake swap and 4 bbl Holley)? 45000V coil with an electronic distributor?

For the distributor, I know there's the classic orange box system sold by all the mopar shops, but have never actually seen one working. Is it any good? Is the summit cheapy version any good?

Also, what are the pros-cons of going through with this update?

Any knowledge you can throw my way will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

G'day mates,

My Dart runs a stock 318 with a 2 bbl Holley which I just installed. I'll also be installing a set of headers and a 2.5" exhaust system with a couple of dynomax VTs.

So now it's time to work on getting a better spark.

What's the best ignition setup for a stock engine (maybe leaving some room for a possible intake swap and 4 bbl Holley)? 45000V coil with an electronic distributor?

For the distributor, I know there's the classic orange box system sold by all the mopar shops, but have never actually seen one working. Is it any good? Is the summit cheapy version any good?

Also, what are the pros-cons of going through with this update?

Any knowledge you can throw my way will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Well, not pitch my own stuff, but ok I'll pitch my own stuff.:D
www.classichei.com

Way less expensive than most all other sets.
Quality and reliability are proven over decades of use.
replacement parts are easy to find at ANY parts supplier.
True HEI electronics designed to replace points or original electronic ignitions.
Multiple times more firepower and a .045-.050 plug gap, giving a much improved ignition source.
AND it does not interfere with, or involve the intake at all.
As a matter of fact you can remove all the ignition stuff already on your intake afterwards.

Chk us out.

Nice plug TrailBeast! 😊

So starting from a completely stock 1969 Dart, what would you suggest?

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this in private.

Cheers!

On a side note... the pre 1970 builds had minimal wiring and current supply throughout the system. Nobodys electronic ignition will operate properly without correct power supply.
Your 69 has or had 1 small blue wire from the ignition switch to feed the mechanical voltage regulator, the points ignition, and the instrument panel.
In 1970 everything was upgraded, comtacts in the ignition switch, wire gauge, alternater, voltage regulator, etc, etc..

RedFish said:
On a side note... the pre 1970 builds had minimal wiring and current supply throughout the system. Nobodys electronic ignition will operate properly without correct power supply.
Your 69 has or had 1 small blue wire from the ignition switch to feed the mechanical voltage regulator, the points ignition, and the instrument panel.
In 1970 everything was upgraded, comtacts in the ignition switch, wire gauge, alternater, voltage regulator, etc, etc..

I haven't checked but that's quite possibly correct as the car has the original wiring. So how can I fix that, redo the wiring from the battery to the ignition switch and then to the ignition system?

I'm gonna have to change the ignition switch anyway (some smart person lost the car keys while it was in storage) so it might be something to do while I'm taking care of the new switch.

Thanks for the info!

...................which is exactly why I am always having you guys check the voltage drop in the ignition harness. The bulkhead connector is really the biggest problem. To "improve" things as you can't get a better switch, one good way is to use a relay. This would be a GREAT time to plan for and install headlight relays as well.

An anecdotal input......

I have an MSD 6-C (has the Chrysler 5-pin connector) unit on my car. It has worked flawlessly for over 25 years.

I do remember the difference that box made in starting the car when I first put it in. It takes no more than a touch of the starter..and the engine is running.

I can't tell you the joule rating or the º duration of spark it puts out. I would imagine that newer units do 'more'.

Combine 25+ years of use with the fact that it does a good job..I like it!

Nice plug TrailBeast! ��

So starting from a completely stock 1969 Dart, what would you suggest?

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this in private.

Cheers!

Will do.
As soon as I get the ones that are already ordered shipped.:D
Thank you.

-
Back