Upgrade Ignition help???

-

PhillH

Reaction score
I know just the basics on ignitions. I want to do away with the control box and ballast resistor, and obviously get a better spark control. What do you guys (and Gals) recommend?
Now, I realize you can get crazy with these, I'm not looking for that. It's a warmed over 360 in a 71 Scamp that I want to be very reliable and I have to do the wiring myself. I was thinking the MSD street-fire system because of the fair prices but, I don't know which parts to get and whether to replace the stock distributor with one of the basic units, or what??? Thanks.

I have the FBO setup from 4secondsflat. Does away with ballast. Must use the recommended coil. If you're already electronic ignition it's pretty much plug and play and is an upgrade to factory.

you know,in 30 years of running mopars i think ive only had 2-3 ballast failures.i always carry a spare in the glove box,but never seem to need it.

Jd, I know they are pretty reliable but I don't have alot of the old school knowledge of the wiring systems, 2 prong, 4 prong, resistance etc, plus no help from desk jockey at the parts stores, I just want it gone.
Dubob thanks, but as I was saying, I don't know much about ignitions, so I have no idea what a FBO setup is.

Sorry should have done this earlier.
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Ignition.html
As I said if you currently have factory electronic ignition, this set up is pretty much plug and play. It includes a jumper to bypass the ballast. I'm running a 560hp 440 and this created more hp and torque over a broader range than an msd on the dyno And honestly as has been stated if you're not building for more performance the factory stuff is very reliable for street and some performance. I was starting with a clean slate on my build so the FBO is the way I ended up going. Just make sure your control module, again assuming you have electronic now, is well grounded. Maybe carry a spare ballast, I've had a couple fail over the years, and it should be pretty reliable. Ma Mopar used tens of thousands over the years in production. Just hate to see someone toss money at something they don't really need. Maybe post up a little more info on your project, so the advice is a bit more tailored to what you've got going on. Enjoy and don't be intimidated by the lingo. Lots of knowledge around here.

That's easier for me to grasp, thank you Dubob. I'm doing this in stages but the end plan is a new wiring harness, fuel injection and upgraded gauges, electronics. So I want to use the car as this is being done but not have to replace parts because I didn't think ahead. HA!!! Good luck with that right! But I'm trying to minimize that and buy the parts that will work with the end game.

If I buy a street fire 6A type and coil from MSD what changes do I have to make to the wiring? And do I have to use a different distributor, I have a stock magnetic type? Does this bypass the ballast, what does the bassist do that I can,t get rid of it? Trying to get a better idea here, thanks for anyone that wants to take the time to help me out with this.

you can use your stock distributor...but recurving it would help...

wiring...you do not use the ballast resistor with the msd setup...connect the two wires on the ballast resistor together..and connect them to the small red wire on the msd 6...it tell the msd 6 unit went the key is on....

the large red and black go to the battery...the orange and black go tot he coil...pretty easy...

No need to break the bank with high-dollar ignition systems.

Just use a HEI (performance) module.
Works with 12v and wires in easily with your current distributor.
I'm using a Dynamod hei module with an e-core coil.

Connection diagram;
GMHEISchematic.jpg

You can't go wrong with MSD running their dist,6a box and coil on 2 different cars over 10 years now not one single issue..

Have you considered Pertronix? I just upgraded my points to Pertronix Ignitor II ignition and Pertronix Ignitor II epoxy coil. The ignition kit was $105 and the coil was $35ish with free shipping. If your distributor bushings are good, you can install the kit in your old distributor. 2 wires to hook up and it does away with the ballast (I gutted mine, soldered a wire in place of the ballast for stock look). I used the epoxy coil because the stock mounting on my poly is on the intake sitting on its side.

Easy to install and works great so far. I am running .035 gap but will try out a larger gap in the future.

No need to break the bank with high-dollar ignition systems.

Just use a HEI (performance) module.
Works with 12v and wires in easily with your current distributor.
I'm using a Dynamod hei module with an e-core coil.

Connection diagram;
GMHEISchematic.jpg
This! or the Pertronix & get a rebuilt point dizzy from Autozone (they're cheap) & add the P II system including their recommended coil for the II

Or you can use your existing distributor and run one of my HEI kits.

Here's the website www.classichei.com

The module and coil are prewired for you, so all you have to do is connect it to your existing ignition power wires and distributor.
My kits use the newer 8 pin module that is not susceptible to low voltage failures or corrosive atmospheric conditions like the four pin module hookup.
They use water proof connections (weatherpack connectors) and you can run a .050 plug gap with a 50,000 volt spark.

True High Energy Ignition as an easy to install kit that can use you existing distributor.

There are quite a few of us running these, and we are all very happy with their performance and reliability.

I'm sure someone with one of my kits will chime in and give you their thoughts on them.

Ive had trailbeast kit in my 67 barracuda for about 4 yrs now its trouble free and one of the best upgrades you can make. It certainly doesn't break the bank either. Just do it you will be happy you did. His customer support is excellent also.

MSD Digital 6 has been my go to for over a decade now.

Abodyjoe has a good point though with the HEI though.

I had a digital 6 go bad in my dart. Man thats sucked. After that I said only ign parts I can get at the local store. A hei module is about as easy as it gets. Lol.

Good point. It sucks to not have access to parts.

One little trick I learned is that MSD dizzy's use a ford pickup.

i say keep it cheap and easy. go with HEI http://www.designed2drive.com/

cheap and easy to get replacement parts if needed.

I still have that beat, because you still need all the other parts and have to assemble it all yourself. :D
Replacement parts are just as easy to get 7 days a week for my kits also.
(Just so you know, we had ONE system fail in two years so far, and I sent that person a new module free of any charges via Priority Mail)
We also have email and telephone support for installation if needed.

There are two real differences between my HEI kits and the designed to drive setup.
(I use the newer weather proof HEI modules and connections that come pre assembled, and they don't mount on the distributor.)

Add up the designed to drive bracket and all the other parts for the HEI change and compare it my price for the same thing with newer electronics and not having to wire it all up yourself.
Also, try to get support of any kind from "designed to drive" if there is a problem with the HEI parts or hookups. (they sell and support the bracket, that's all)

I still have that beat, because you still need all the other parts and have to assemble it all yourself. :D
Replacement parts are just as easy to get 7 days a week for my kits also.
(Just so you know, we had ONE system fail in two years so far, and I sent that person a new module free of any charges via Priority Mail)
We also have email and telephone support for installation if needed.

There are two real differences between my HEI kits and the designed to drive setup.
(I use the newer weather proof HEI modules and connections that come pre assembled, and they don't mount on the distributor.)

Add up the designed to drive bracket and all the other parts for the HEI change and compare it my price for the same thing with newer electronics and not having to wire it all up yourself.
Also, try to get support of any kind from "designed to drive" if there is a problem with the HEI parts or hookups. (they sell and support the bracket, that's all)

i never badmouthed your kits. hell i like your kits. what i like about the designed 2drive bracket is that it puts the module under the dist out of the way. outta sight outta mind. i bought it knowing that i had to supply my own module and coil. the wiring is so basic that i think my 7 year old could do it so thats not an issue for me either. like i said, i like your kits and i'm sure they are as great as everyone that has bought one says they are but it just isn't what i'm after. i really don''t need any support from designed2drive. the bracket is either good or broken..lol

I really like the design to drive bracket. It's price right too!! That's the way I decided to go. If someone can't connect 4 wires, they probably shouldn't own one of these 40-something year old cars

i never badmouthed your kits. hell i like your kits. what i like about the designed 2drive bracket is that it puts the module under the dist out of the way. outta sight outta mind. i bought it knowing that i had to supply my own module and coil. the wiring is so basic that i think my 7 year old could do it so thats not an issue for me either. like i said, i like your kits and i'm sure they are as great as everyone that has bought one says they are but it just isn't what i'm after. i really don''t need any support from designed2drive. the bracket is either good or broken..lol

No, please don't misunderstand.
I didn't think you were badmouthing my kits or ever had.
Just wanted to point out the requirements and what I think are shortcomings, and that is that they only make an under distributor bracket for the old four pin module.
And that the four pin module doesn't give much in the way of decent connections to it except for blade terminals, and unless a person does it themselves (heat shrink or whatever) the connections are open to atmospheric corrosion like Fiats uses, but maybe that is appropriate now that Fiat own Chrysler. :D

I really like the design to drive bracket. It's price right too!! That's the way I decided to go. If someone can't connect 4 wires, they probably shouldn't own one of these 40-something year old cars

Believe me, there are a lot of people that shouldn't own one of these 40 year old cars, for that reason and a few others. :D
I really like the bracket idea, but making one only for the really old style module is what bugs me.
I think it would be great if a person could mount a new style 8 pin module to it and use the weatherpack connectors instead of spades or soldering a semi permanent connection to the module pins/blades.
And maybe the 8 can be mounted to it, as I have never had one to see.

-
Back