Upgrade opinions

-

DKSCALA

Reaction score
I am "modernizing" my long neglected project of 20 years. My 70 Duster has a Mallory Voltmaster dual point system, Must be 30 years old? What would be a good choice to make the car more dependable.

I just ordered a new voltage regulator and will perform the recommended Amp guage bypass.

70 340
Holley 750
Edelbrock Performer Manifold
Headers
Mild Cam

why not just go with the mopar electronic ignition upgrade package? it has a mopar performance curve distributor, the new orange ignition box, and the new resistor you will need. it is a simple upgrade that will help you alot in one easy package. easier to start, better performance, maybe even better milage.

Don't throw away that dual point, there is the odd (odds a good word) person looking for them so they can return there rides to full factory stock. Put it on ebay or advertize on this site. And yea go with the orange box, it's simple an usually works just fine.

Terry

Dont forget an volt gauge if you are bypassing the amp gauge, you will need to monitor your charging system via one.

-Mike

From an owner of an Orange box and a Chrome box, go with the Chrome box and proper ballast resister w/ the adjustable vacuum advance distributor.

even better yet, go with an msd setup. it is totally modular, i mean that the advance curve is adjustable by bushings to set the amount of centrifugal curve and springs to control how fast it comes in. imo, much better than the mopar electronic ignition package. mine is now sitting on the shelf.

Completed the Amp bypass and installed a 65 amp alternator, and an Autometer Voltage guage. Thanks for everyones help.

Just purchased an MSD distributor, 6A ignition box, msd spiral wires and a blaster coil.
Do I need to use the ballast resitor?

-
Back