upgrading alt.

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
hey all, my 1973 swinger is in need of upgrading my alternator. I have a 95 amp chrome power master, dual v pulley.... works, but not enough amps anymore, I have since redone the car an now uses dual electric fans, a/c, h4 headlamps, fob ignition, stereo, etc......
small block with factory a/c and alt. brackets, now, anyone been using the gm Delco as advertised 1 wire 220amps on e-bay? not the cheepies, I mean. I spoke with power master today, and tech stated that the mopar square back I have can only be upgraded to 95 amps, tops. and said they use a DR44G ...LS gm alternator from pre-2005. trucks, and use mopar big block brackets with mild mods, and fits well. and they up the windings and add v- pulley on it. I happen to have one of these needing a rebuild, but curious what others have been doing, the mopar 120amp from Dakota etc. isn't enough oomph to keep my dual yellow optima batteries charged... with all on it, and yes the wiring is upgraded to (0) gauge batt. cables, and (2) gauge charging wire( fused) not in pass though either.
my other possible option is the ford 3g unit spun to 250 amps and is front he ford 3.8, etc or truck motors. and would need a v-pulley as well. , and please no ford/chevy bashing, mopar just doesn't have one that is reliably priced, that amps to 200 plus range that is not pulse width modulated by a computer that I can find... I do like the idea of internal fan too.

Last edited:
know my bro inlaw did it with his 68 Cornet/ Super Bee clone 850 hp Built 440 block engine car , but don't know how . ask MRL or OU812
brian at imm .I'm sure with all the knowlge in here ,some 1 will get you pointed in the right direction . GL my brother HAGR812 Winston

You going to do some DC welding with that thing or what? :D

yeah only in the combustion chamber... hehehehe.. I live in AZ, 114 today, fans will run hard all the time here... plus all the other electrical stuff. would rather have to much than too little, I have that now.

Going down the road you don't have enough power from the alternator, or at a traffic light waiting you don't have enough power?
Very important distinction.

hey all, my 1973 swinger is in need of upgrading my alternator. I have a 95 amp chrome power master, dual v pulley.... works, but not enough amps anymore, I have since redone the car an now uses dual electric fans, a/c, h4 headlamps, fob ignition, stereo, etc......
small block with factory a/c and alt. brackets, now, anyone been using the gm Delco as advertised 1 wire 220amps on e-bay? not the cheepies, I mean. I spoke with power master today, and tech stated that the mopar square back I have can only be upgraded to 95 amps, tops. and said they use a DR44G ...LS gm alternator from pre-2005. trucks, and use mopar big block brackets with mild mods, and fits well. and they up the windings and add v- pulley on it. I happen to have one of these needing a rebuild, but curious what others have been doing, the mopar 120amp from Dakota etc. isn't enough oomph to keep my dual yellow optima batteries charged... with all on it, and yes the wiring is upgraded to (0) gauge batt. cables, and (2) gauge charging wire( fused) not in pass though either.
my other possible option is the ford 3g unit spun to 250 amps and is front he ford 3.8, etc or truck motors. and would need a v-pulley as well. , and please no ford/chevy bashing, mopar just doesn't have one that is reliably priced, that amps to 200 plus range that is not pulse width modulated by a computer that I can find... I do like the idea of internal fan too.

I am using a rewound GM CS144 with a heavy duty bridge rectifier on my '70 E-Body. The wiring has been upgraded following the guidlines from Madd Electric using a 2 gauge cable as a main power feed. The alternator puts out 115 amps at idle and over 225 amps at a fast idle. I bought an adapeter braket to mount it. It is essencially a bolt on upgrade. The trick is to use a main distribution lug to feed all your high amp stuff, as to keep the high amperage out of the cabin of the car.

I just cannot image needing that much power generated in a passenger vehicle. Pop up Ferris Wheel packed in the trunk ? If you truly have built a 73 Dodge Carnival you have forfeited horse power and fuel mileage in the process.
Consider all the other passenger vehicles around you. Focus on minivan accessory load, front and rear air, front and rear wipers, everything you have and more. And you need twice the power supply that they have onboard ? To unblow my mind, I would need to hear your jukebox from the top of that Ferris Wheel. LOL Good luck though

well I work for caddy, and our recent alt. are pumping at 220 amps for all the goodies. I have added quite a bit, but i'm thinking that about 145-160 amp should be ok, I need it for at idle more than anything....and I have added the dist. block under the hood for everything, and one inside where the amp meter wire was, separate from everything.

Last edited:
on my previous efi 505" I used a CS130 clocked at 11 and on my current efi 408" I'm using a CS130 clocked at 7. Both w/105a rating, using modded stock brackets and v-pulleys. Running current demand (all on) is under 60a.

"I just cannot image needing that much power generated in a passenger vehicle."

It's all relative. Sufficient idle output is what I was after when I made my choice of an alternator. Nothing else even comes close at idle rpm.

Heck, my fuel pump and electric fans can suck over 80 amps at idle, and that's not counting A/C, ignition, power windows, car lighting etc.

"I just cannot image needing that much power generated in a passenger vehicle."

It's all relative. Sufficient idle output is what I was after when I made my choice of an alternator. Nothing else even comes close at idle rpm.

Heck, my fuel pump and electric fans can suck over 80 amps at idle, and that's not counting A/C, ignition, power windows, car lighting etc.
and your cs-144 handles it all? no battery discharging?

cool I will look into that one, then, I was just trying to use what I have laying around. well I guess I will have a power master square back chrome dual v belt pulley alternator for sale 95 amp was told. since electrical
fans now.

-
Back