Upgrading rear to LBP axles and drums.....

-

Reddartowner

UCF Alumni....Go Knights!
Reaction score
I am in the process of upgrading my 8 3/4 rear to the LBP axles and have a couple of related questions... First, when I get the LBP axles, will the flange-to-flange width of the rear change (in other words, will I need to re-check my backspacing needs for the wheels)? Second, I will need to get the 10 inch drums with the 4.5 inch BP, so I also need to replace the backing plates to accomodate the 2 1/2 brake pads, correct..?

Thanks,

Mark.

You can order LBP axels to work with whatever brake size you have.Just make sure you mention what brake size you have when ordering,this way you won,t have to change your backing plates or brakes.

OK.... But my other problem is I can't seem to find 10 x 1 3/4 drums with the LBP, they're all SBP. Any suggestions....? I could always get the drums drilled to the LBP, but after that expense, I would think it might just be easier to switch to the 2 1/2 inch drums with the LBP............

Mark.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Just have to dig a little deeper into the wallet.......... Can you answer the flange to flange width question..?

Hi Reddartowner, Jegs has a sizing chart and check out www.moparts.com they have lots of info. I converted my 68 Dart to 10 inch drums and used a 1976 V-8 Dart as a reference.Mind you this was my donor car for the whole conversion. My axles came from Mancini.Dont wast time looking for the proper size.Drilling weakens the component.. depending on HP

Buy the axles from Dr. Diff
All mopar drum brakes fit.
I used everything from my 74 7.25
NHRA approved axles.
10.5 x 2.5 Brake drums cheap from any parts store.

-
Back