Upper control arm ball joint socket requirements

-

jawbone

Cuda_queer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Would someone be so kind as to specify size of sockets used on A body cars. Currently have what appears to be 1.75 inch socket. I assume this one is for 9 inch drums. The size for larger drums or disk brakes as not been forthcoming. It appears ebay sellers are not that knowledgeable when it comes to application or size. Brand names with part numbers would be appreciated as well. Jeff

All A-bodies used small socket EXCEPT large bolt pattern disc brakes...and I believe this is the same for all B and E bodies(?). Trucks use another larger model. The rest? Someone, please correct this if incorrect. Thanks!

Push come to shove went out to attempt measuring mine. It comes out to 1 29/32 or 1.906. This must be the 1 59/64 I am seeing.

When I was changing my 68 to discs I looked everywhere for one. Nonexistent.
I gave up, I was swapping UCAs so, all good

Good luck

image.png

Look around here. There have been a couple threads in the last week or so about those sockets.

Many moons ago I bought both sockets from a vendor at Carlisle. I only knew there was a large and small version, not aware of a third size. The two should cover just about everything you will come across.
A bodys went to the large ball joint in 73 for disc brake cars. I think drum still used the smaller joint.

Many moons ago I bought both sockets from a vendor at Carlisle. I only knew there was a large and small version, not aware of a third size. The two should cover just about everything you will come across.
A bodys went to the large ball joint in 73 for disc brake cars. I think drum still used the smaller joint.
Have only found the large 1 59/64 socket. Will keep looking. Regards,Jeff

Thanks for the link. Did not know if that particular one was the large or small. Found one on ebay. Many thanks. Jeff

You're welcome.
They list a different socket for B-Bodies, which use the same ball joint as the '73 and later disc brake A-Bodies. I like these because they are 1/2" drive, and will work with my impact wrenches without an adapter.
I bought a set of front end tools Mancini used to sell that included both sockets and bushing replacement and ball joint stud tools. It was a good deal and very handy set. A shame it's no longer offered.

You're welcome.
They list a different socket for B-Bodies, which use the same ball joint as the '73 and later disc brake A-Bodies. I like these because they are 1/2" drive, and will work with my impact wrenches without an adapter.
I bought a set of front end tools Mancini used to sell that included both sockets and bushing replacement and ball joint stud tools. It was a good deal and very handy set. A shame it's no longer offered.
I just wish Mancini was more specific in their description. Purchased previously elsewhere a ball joint socket offered for A bodies but does not fit anything I have. Too small. No description in size as well. Glad I have the details now. Found a Snap-on advertised for smaller ball joint. We will see.

I agree, been buying from mancini since around 1990. They are still running the same old out dated website with poor descriptions and pictures that dont expand. Sometimes they actually get smaller when you click them. Best thing to do is call them, they have great customer service.

I just wish Mancini was more specific in their description. Purchased previously elsewhere a ball joint socket offered for A bodies but does not fit anything I have. Too small. No description in size as well. Glad I have the details now. Found a Snap-on advertised for smaller ball joint. We will see.
They are very specific. "A body"

They are very specific. "A body"

That's the point - 72 and earlier use the small ball joint and 73 and later use the big ball joint, saying "fits A-body", means they are wrong half the time...

(by the way, I really like your footer quote)

That's the point - 72 and earlier use the small ball joint and 73 and later use the big ball joint, saying "fits A-body", means they are wrong half the time...

(by the way, I really like your footer quote)
Then I guess he'll have to do the unthinkable and actually pick up a phone. lol

And thanks on the quote. It just came to me out of the blue after a "discussion" one day with a member on here.

I agree, been buying from mancini since around 1990. They are still running the same old out dated website with poor descriptions and pictures that dont expand. Sometimes they actually get smaller when you click them. Best thing to do is call them, they have great customer service.
Well I got a laugh out of your comment. Yes sometimes they do get smaller.

Not sure of the source of that information but my 69 Polara clearly uses the 1-7/8, originally purchased for a 73 Barracuda that I had.

Alan

When I swapped to 1970 disc brakes on my old '69 Polara wagon the ball joints were larger than my "large" ball joint socket. I had to buy a bigger one.

When I swapped to 1970 disc brakes on my old '69 Polara wagon the ball joints were larger than my "large" ball joint socket. I had to buy a bigger one.
Yup, there are I believe 6 in all including all of the screw in style ball joints Mopar used.

S1051392.JPG
Snap-On sockets, 3/4" drive. from left to right: A-body small bolt pattern,#S6302;NOT for trucks,possibly A-body disc brakes and B & E-body,S9365B and the one for trucks,S9479A.

Then I guess he'll have to do the unthinkable and actually pick up a phone. lol[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY!!!
Yes the folks at Mancini might not be computer wizards, but they actually do know their stuff when it comes to our cars, unlike 90% of who you get on the phone from most parts suppliers!!!

-
Back