Upper control arm bushes

-

MoparBrit

HillingdonDart
Reaction score
Okay, about to start the rebuild and swap of suspension parts from the '73 dart to the '71 dart. I've been looking at the upper control arms and see that both cars the bushing look like they are only 3/4ths of the way in. What I mean by that is that the bushing has the large collar sticking out. Instead of being flush with the control arm then are out probably a good 1/4 inch. This is the same on both cars.

Is it supposed to fit in flush with the control arm each side? Seems like the operate well enough out about 1/4, but I want to make sure I put the new ones in correctly.

Cheers

Are you talking about the visible gap between the bore in the arm and the washers affixed to either end of the inner bushing sleeve? If so, it is normal, but the rubber bushing material should be evident. In fact if the bore on the upper control arm is not close to centered, that would indicate deteriorated bushings.

C130 Chief - Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing. I'm going to see if I can get a picture of what I mean and post it. Just seems like the body of the whole bushing is not in the arm all the way. I would think it should be pressed in flush to the flanged end of the bushing, but it looks the same on both cars.

I'll get that picture done today and post it. Hopefully that will clarify what I'm on about.
Thanks for the help.
Cheers

Here is a picture of a typical upper control arm. I've tried to make a yellow marking to show the distance I'm talking about from how the bushing is pressed in compared to the flange on the bushing. I hope you can make it out.

Is this supposed to be flush with the control arm (the flange on the bushing)? In other words pressed in all the way? If not, then how do you know when you have pressed the bushing in the right amount as the new bushing (pictured under the arm) has no line or marks that I could see to tell you where you should stop.

Hope these pics work!!!

DSCF0545.JPG

DSCF0546.JPG

that part you are seeing with the 1/4" gap is not the bushing, its part of the control arm

press the old one out and you will see what i mean

new ones press in until bottomed out

Ahhhh, okay. Makes sense now. Just can't see the join for the dirt and corrosion. The upper control arm has a bit of a tube bit on it then and the bushing fits flush against that. Okay. Thanks for the help everyone. Just did not want to install it and not put it in right. So used to working on classic Minis that I'm having to relearn how to work on an American car again, lol.

Cheers

that part you are seeing with the 1/4" gap is not the bushing, its part of the control arm

press the old one out and you will see what i mean

new ones press in until bottomed out

I just did one last week,Sanguine is right, just be carful that you or the guy that presses them out/in does not spread the UCA apart. This happened to me, and I had to clamp one end in a vise and hit the other end with a BFH to close the ends up the 1/4 inch it was spread apart. Not a big deal, just check how they fit before you paint, I was able to tap mine in with a rubber dead blow hammer pretty easily. And make sure that you put in the strut rods with the LCA or you will be swearing a lot.:colors:

Thanks!!!

Going to use my home made puller installer tool. Should not put any stress on the control arm as far as spreading it. Well, hope not at least. I'll keep an eye on it while doing the job. If all works well with the tool then I thought I'd post the parts list, numbers etc. from Home Depot where I got the stuff. If I remember right it came out to $8.77 with local taxes for the bits. Fingers crossed all works well on it.

Cheers

-
Back