Upper control arms for disc brake swap?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I am getting things together for a disc brake swap on my 73 Swinger. I am seeing alot of choices for upper control arms. Is there a certain model or part I need to be looking for or are they all going to work with a disc brake set up?

Talk to DrDiff about his sleeves. They allow you to use your upper arms

I figured since I was going to be in there I may as well put new ones on the car instead of going back into it later.

You do not need to change your arms they are already the larger upper ball joint style. The a bodies used the same larger ball joint that was found in the B and E bodies starting is 1973-76. So you should only have to change the spindles. If you are looking to upgrade then look at either tubular arms in either adjustable or non adjustable.

Thanks
James

You do not need to change your arms they are already the larger upper ball joint style. The a bodies used the same larger ball joint that was found in the B and E bodies starting is 1973-76. So you should only have to change the spindles. If you are looking to upgrade then look at either tubular arms in either adjustable or non adjustable.

Thanks
James

If you are saying I can use my factory upper control arms then this is news to me. When I was looking into brand new kits they all required new ones.

All 73-76 a bodies used a BJ 10162 which is the same ball joint that was used in the B and E mopars. Which is the larger upper. You can double check by measuring the top of your ball joint. It should measure 1 and 7/8" with a tape measure.

You do not need to change your arms they are already the larger upper ball joint style. The a bodies used the same larger ball joint that was found in the B and E bodies starting is 1973-76.

Definitely double check the size of the ball joints currently in place as they might be the small ball joint. I have parted out 2 73s with a slant 6 and both were the small upper ball joint. Side observation - SBP wheels all the way around.

Definitely double check the size of the ball joints currently in place as they might be the small ball joint. I have parted out 2 73s with a slant 6 and both were the small upper ball joint. Side observation - SBP wheels all the way around.

I do have the small bolt pattern wheels.

I do have the small bolt pattern wheels.

Hmmm! I suspect you have the small ball joint upper control arms. Measure the top of the ball joints and there will be your definitive answer.

Even SBP cars should have had the large ball joint UCA's starting in '73. The '73 up, /6 drum cars remained small bolt pattern, but the spindles changed so they used the large ball joint.

If your sbp '73's had small upper ball joints, they could have been early '73 builds or were swapped at some point. I've seen later cars with earlier suspension set ups a couple times on parts cars, someone grabbed the BBP stuff and swapped on their old SBP brakes to keep the thing rolling. Lot can happen in 40+ years.

Get a 7/16 and 9 1/16 open end wrench out of your toolbox.
Put it over the threaded portion of the stud.
7/16 Small ball joint.
9/16 Big ball joint.
Simple, easy, peasy.

Get a 7/16 and 9 1/16 open end wrench out of your toolbox.
Put it over the threaded portion of the stud.
7/16 Small ball joint.
9/16 Big ball joint.
Simple, easy, peasy.

I will be over at my parents this weekend and will check it out. I am still leaning toward going with a aftermarket tubular control arm though.

All '73 and newer A-bodies, regardless of wheel bolt pattern, came with large upper ball joints from the factory.

All '73 and newer A-bodies, regardless of wheel bolt pattern, came with large upper ball joints from the factory.

Straight from the horses mouth. Would have been easy to make a comment and have me buy the adapter and I like the honesty.

-
Back