US Money Orders

-

shovhd

Reaction score
I have to send a US$ money order down to another member in Oregon and I don't want it to be a hassle for him to cash it. Any advice on how to do this? Do I just go to the Post Office or my Bank? I have never had to send a money to the US before.

Thanks

Nigel

a US money order would have to come from a US Post office. They can be cashed at the post office or deposited in to there bank account.

You can get them from a bank or Canada Post. Sometimes it is a hassle to cash certain bank ones so I would go to Canada Post and get one. It will cost you a few $ but it is better.

I have used only money orders/drafts from my bank, and have never had a problem. Just make sure you specify "US Funds" when purchasing the money order.

So ebay guys don't like the ones from the banks and have trouble cashing them for some reason. Maybe they don't trust them.

The problem is all the dirtbag scammers have screwed it up and made it hard for the honest guy. Makes sellers gun shy about what to accept. When I sell something I won't accept a bank money order because of this. A Canada post money order is OK though. There's a pH. # on it you can call to verify if it is good.

Actually what it is , is that Canada Post M/O's have a nine digit transfer number. Canadian Banks have a 10 digit transfer number. US banks have a nine digit numbering system. In a nut shell, the US banks are more"comfortable" with the Canada Post M/O. It still boils down to personality though and how well your bank thinks of you.
Daryl

I get mine done at my TD Canadatrust bank. They draw them up on a Wells Fargo Certified Cheque or whatever. I have never had a problem with those ones.

-
Back