US Route 30 (The Lincoln Highway)

-

petty437

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever wondered about cruising coast to coast? The Lincoln Highway was the first road to run from NYC to San Francisco. Many states have very well documented maps enabling you to follow most of the original route. If I'm correct, there was even a documentary about a group who did it. I think it would be fun even through one or two states. Just a thought. Tim

It's 4 lane through much of Iowa. A fun route here. Some fun things to do and see.

The most fun I ever had was back in about '97 or 8 , flew to Oakland Ca and bought a restored 67 383 cuda. The owner was an engineer for an oil co and he built this car, a road race 67 and a 67 hemi Bel. He was a good mechanic! Drove from there to Reno, then took 50 (4 lane) across Nev, Utah and into Co where I picked up Interstate. It would have been even better IF had stayed on 2 lane.
Would have been a better trip IF I had the wife back then I have now. I took time in Ks to stop at boneyards, and other Mopar nuts along that stretch!! I flew out at midnight from KC Mo and got to the owner place at 8 am, left his place at noon. I was back home on the afternoon of the 3rd day.
I lived in NW Mo at the time.

I know that there is part of the Old Lincoln Highway here in Omaha, but the original highway is broken up and gone, but you now have to go down on Highway 30 across the state.

We have part of it here in northern Indiana. It is no longer on the "official" US Route 30 anymore. It runs parallel as its own road called... Lincoln Highway.

Cruising coast to coast would be a blast, but there are a lot more starting and ending points than NYC ans SF.

I have done it across Pennsylvania. There are a lot of interesting things to do along the route. It goes through Amish country and the Mountains in Somerset and Laurel Highlands. Have not been past the PA state line in either direction. Oh and don't miss the Lincoln drag way..York airport. Not sure if it runs anymore. I know it doesn't on a regular basis.

Two years ago the wife and I we going frm Tx to Mo and on the route we went up thru the very SE most part of Ok headed to Ft Smith for some parts. That stretch thru there goes into the Ouachita Mtns. and Rand McNally and his road atlas shows the road as dotted as in scenic as in big hills and sharp curves The wife hates heights and those kind of roads, I loved it and the scenery. We were driving the dually and pulling a car trailer that did not help her sense of security!
I admit I love pasture, grass and sorta flat, but that is such a beautiful area. I can see myself living around there and going for a scenic spirited drive every single day!!

Personally, I love traveling across the country on a route like that. As of I-80, I've been across a few states on it. I agree with RRR, you can just do part of it. We took "original" route 66 through Missouri, Kansas, Okl, Tx, NM, AZ and that was all the further we planned. We took an old car too, and returned a different route just for different scenery. I love unpopulated, open roads. I find so much to look at and see. One of the best things you can do. I want to do the "loneliest highway" in America - route 50 across Nevada.

Last edited:
^^^^ In my post #3 that highway 50 is what I took from Reno East. It was cool but I would I meet only 3-4 cars all the way across Nv and Ut!!!! That was the route the seller of that Cuda told me to take. I asked what IF I break down" He just said, I won't!!! He was right!!!!!
I twas all high country desert. Occasional sign that aid "open range,watch for cows" I NEVER saw a cow!!!!!!!

US-30 goes to San Fransisco? Lincoln Highway leaves US-30 in Grainger WY and then basically follows US-50 (and where US-40 was from Reno west). US-30 goes northwest to Astoria OR.

I'm currently building a long distance cruiser (70 Dart GT) to do just such trips. I'm in WA state so going east we were planning 101 to Santa Monica, 66 to Chicago and then east by 2 lane blacktop to the Nats, Carlisle and some east coast Mopar shows. I've been considering 30 as the route home. We would do this over 2 or 3 years, leaving the car in storage between legs to take a break and take care of business. Any information sources or accounts of doing 30 coast to coast would be welcome!

I'm currently building a long distance cruiser (70 Dart GT) to do just such trips. I'm in WA state so going east we were planning 101 to Santa Monica, 66 to Chicago and then east by 2 lane blacktop to the Nats, Carlisle and some east coast Mopar shows. I've been considering 30 as the route home. We would do this over 2 or 3 years, leaving the car in storage between legs to take a break and take care of business. Any information sources or accounts of doing 30 coast to coast would be welcome!
If you are thinking of running Old Route 30 you can just search "The Lincoln Highway". http://lincolnhighway.jameslin.name/by_state/

-
Back