Use of Keith Black pistons in 392 Stroker?

-

NorthernSwede

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone around here seems to think that diamond is the only pistons for 318 4" strokers, but KeithBlack partnr.
IC847KTD-030
Seems to be the right thing too, why does no one mention them?

They have been mentioned by name, not part number. The diamonds IIRC are forged and the KB's are a hyper-U. Each has it's place and performance arena.

Ok, thanks, I'll be running before mentioned keithblacks, mopars 4" crank, and comp cams SK20-416-3. On stock 360 heads and intake + custom headers. Going for torque over horses on this one.

One thing to keep in mind about the KB hypereutectic pistons, you CANNOT overlook their top ring end gap specs. Usually, it ends up being around .040", but it varies with bore size. They have a formula to figure it out. It is imperative you stick with that or the pistons WILL fail. This is why you hear stories of KB pistons failing. In nearly every case, it was operator error. They can stand a good bit of nitrous, too, as long as the top ring gap is adjusted to their specs. They are good pistons. As affordable as their forged ones are though.......

The kb-847 are forged...............

I know...that's why I said "as affordable as THEIR forged......" All their "KB" forged numbers are obsolete now though. their new line is called "Icon" and has the abbreviation "IC" now, so the right part number now is IC-847.

KB gives a mathmatical equation (SP?) for the end gap for the rings.

Thanks for the forged number aar

They have been mentioned by name, not part number. The diamonds IIRC are forged and the KB's are a hyper-U. Each has it's place and performance arena.

Diamond is not too far from my house. They make some great pistons, but in all seriousness, for the money the KB/Icon forged pistons are a far better deal for the momey and IMO, just as good.

figure 500 dollars for the icon vs the 800+ dollars for the diamond and it's a no brainer to me. The diamond is slightly lighter is all, but that is by far not enough to make me use them over the icons.

That extra 300 bucks can go a long way elsewhere.

If I was building something in the 650 plus hp range with better rods and crank I would probably spring for the diamonds. But for the 450-550 hp stroker, the extra money on diamonds (again, in my opinion) is a waste of money. This is especailly true when people are making due with the hypereutectic alloy pistons in the same 450-550 hp motors.

If I was building something in the 650 plus hp range with better rods and crank I would probably spring for the diamonds. But for the 450-550 hp stroker, the extra money on diamonds (again, in my opinion) is a waste of money. This is especailly true when people are making due with the hypereutectic alloy pistons in the same 450-550 hp motors.

Yeah but all those $300 extra items start adding up fast.

Don't forget the rest of the drive train will need some $. Like a new or refresh torque converter or clutch.

Yeah but all those $300 extra items start adding up fast.

Don't forget the rest of the drive train will need some $. Like a new or refresh torque converter or clutch.

Of course. That's why sitting down, and creating a goal is the best way to approach it from the beginning. I cant wait to get my engine fired up. By being very very careful in parts choices I've saved a lot of money on what I could save money on and as a result was able to get other things that would make the whole overall engine even better. It's all in how you budget things and knowing what you can get away with using and what you can't.

That's why if you can spend 500 on the icon pistons instead of 800 for the diamonds, there's the extra money toward something else you need. Of course we're not telling anyone anything new here.:-D

Well the Keiths are ordered and should arrive at the beginning of next month! So I'll keep you posted on the progress!

-
Back