Use stock 1970 340 rods in rebuild?

-
the casting number on rods should be 496, last 3. theses are the good stock rods. I retired my set after 1800 runs in my 340, with stock weight pistons and trw lightened to match. these were ran up to 7000 rpm in the traps, 6500 shifted. only work done was new bolts every 5 years,( mopar bolts) ARP wasn't around yet. never broke a 496 rod. BTW, this took 18 years to amass 1800 runs, to resize rods cost $ 90, plus bolts, way less than new rods. nothing wrong with those rods!!!!
My%20340%20Rod_zpspkaxva5i.jpg

That's one of eight :)
Like I said I got a whole box of rods pistons and pins for sale give me twenty bucks plus the shipping and they're yours there's a lot of weight there and I'll have to put them in a big plastic bin to ship I don't see any need in my future for them my next bill will be with a newer Magnum block

Like I said I got a whole box of rods pistons and pins for sale give me twenty bucks plus the shipping and they're yours there's a lot of weight there and I'll have to put them in a big plastic bin to ship I don't see any need in my future for them my next bill will be with a newer Magnum block
Thanks a lot but I have the 8 that were with the block and I'm pretty sure they're fine. Not really sure what I'll do yet anyway

Are those 340 rods??? I might swing over your way and grab them up if they are.

There's argument for both sides, really.

The stock original rods are GOOD quality metal. You cannot argue that.

No tellin what type metallurgy the new rods are made up of. Especially coming from China.

It would be a tough call for me.......but I would rework

This... Seen a stock WELL PREPPED set of stock 360 rods, hit tens..340 prepped rods, hit 9:80's @ 128-130 trap speed, with a 300 hit on a tunnel.... It's the knowledge of the person : assembling /tuning it, and ability to keep it up...(stock rod setup)...

Last edited by a moderator:
the casting number on rods should be 496, last 3. theses are the good stock rods. I retired my set after 1800 runs in my 340, with stock weight pistons and trw lightened to match. these were ran up to 7000 rpm in the traps, 6500 shifted. only work done was new bolts every 5 years,( mopar bolts) ARP wasn't around yet. never broke a 496 rod. BTW, this took 18 years to amass 1800 runs, to resize rods cost $ 90, plus bolts, way less than new rods. nothing wrong with those rods!!!!
My%20340%20Rod_zpspkaxva5i.jpg

That's one of eight :)

Richie: Is that the copper dipped rods, on the small end, or crusty rusty dust?(lol...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they are..... and no you're no :lol:

They looked like they could be the press fit 360 rods that are the same casting number. I was having a hard time seeing the pin bushings that are used with that casting number for a 340. I'll probably just buy a new set of Molnars anyways.

They looked like they could be the press fit 360 rods that are the same casting number. I was having a hard time seeing the pin bushings that are used with that casting number for a 340. I'll probably just buy a new set of Molnars anyways.
Those Molnar rods do seem to be pretty great in the reviews.

-
Back