Used 360 Value?

-

middleagecrisis

Reaction score
I went and looked at a disassembled used 360 last night for my Duster, as an option to building the core I currently have. The motor was disassembled (had a video of running) and had the 2380P "down in the hole" forged pistons (stock bore), used purple cam (lifters supposedly in order of removal), 340 X-Heads (2.02/1.60) with stock type rockers, M/T valve covers, Uni-lite distributor, performer intake and used Eddy carb (I'll discard these) and the E-body oil pan. Motor sounded good in the video, but intake valves are slightly sunk into the seat and the cam has some wear, but appears serviceable. What's the board consensus on a fair price? After looking at everything, I'm thinking $800 max, he's asking $1800. I realize I couldn't build this engine for that price, but it can't just go back together without at least a valve job and gasket set. What's the more realistic price before I decline?

$1800? That's a stretch. It sounds like everything on the list needs some attention to be right so I see just a core. $800 may be.

Short of the X heads and Maybe the pistons what real value is it? You can pull a runner for around 300-500 all day from the pluck and prey.

I’m with Mike on this one. The guy has a pile of parts. The motor got torn down for a reason, at this point it is junk. The block, heads, crank, rods and cam need a magnaflux to check for cracks as a start…

His asking price is too high for what's there. If it was assembled and running that's a different story. Basically, it's a core so $500-$750 would be my max. 65'

His asking price is too high for what's there. If it was assembled and running that's a different story. Basically, it's a core so $500-$750 would be my max. 65'

Especially since he could get a 5.9 for less than half of that.
That’s what I would tell the seller as well.

The seller is a TEXAN!!!! Everything costs more here....unless I am selling!!!!! :BangHead: :rofl:
Being a Texan, I resemble that! Actually, everybody local tries to bargain with me to where I'm practically giving away whatever I'm trying to sell. I end up keeping most stuff, or selling on ebay or here.
Regarding the price, thanks to all for confirming my thoughts.

Yup, machine work, you know it needs machine work...I had a set of 915 J heads redone earlier this year was about $700

Rules about buying/selling

Buyer always have multiples of the thing you offer to them, so it's need to be cheap.

As a buyer from those same people the item you want is ALWAYS the last one they have available, thus expensive.

Econ101 Supply/demand curve. Even though it may be fantasy.

I wouldn't give 500 for what is there unless it was a solid provable runner. Intake and MT's are worth a couple hundred, the engine is a core 200-300. X-heads meh... good for the resto crowd only or folks stuck in the early 2000's and prior.

It is sort of like trying to sell a project that does not fire up!!!!! Hard to do for any amount of $$. Hard to sell a motor you can't stand right there and hear run. But the "modern" buyer never wants to talk on the phone, just text, so I guess the younsters are happy hearing a darn video off a cell!!??? But maybe these sellers/buyers are some I have visited in person before, to look at a motor, lets say, and I told them IF I buy it and find out they lied to me, I would come back and burn down his home with him in it, after I cut off his friggin head, with a dull butter knife.... ??????? Dunno :BangHead: :thumbsup:

Why would you discard the carburetor?
Those are fairly easy to clean up and rarely need any work.
Uni-Lite dist ain't cheap although potentially not needed on a Mopar.

Most people today are hagglers and want the big score, something for nothing it could be rebuilt but without receipts from Ray Barton racing engines and a warranty blessed by the Rabbi blah blah blah its only worth 500 dollars blah blah yeah ok...better off selling a disassembled engine no one would appreciate it if you rebuilt it and assembled it any way theyd say youare a hack andblah blah now they have to tear it down and go over your work yada yada...:lol:

There's a 340 and 4 speed that look like crusty cores here on CL.

Asking price is 4K.

There's a 340 and 4 speed that look like crusty cores here on CL.

Asking price is 4K.
Id say its worth it if it runs and the trans works. If its a low comp 340 then no, the price negotiations begin...still its going to need disassembled cleaned up...that's basically 3 for the engine 1 for the A 833 if its a high comp 340...in my opinion. Id say low comp 340 is 1500 dollars...the only thing I dislike about them is the external balance still, if you had the high comp internals the low comp block and heads could be made to work...but the heads would need punched out to 2.02s

Last edited:
i think 8 is fair with something like that being in the 6 to 1K range-- but only because there's proof of life.

you have VFM there with the unilite, MT covers, intake and carb. the 2380 trw's are kinda, sorta a score but that doesn't really move the needle. one of those: oh, hey, nice i can re use them. the x-heads needing work is a push and a used MP cam doesn't bring anything to the table (i'd bet dollars to donuts it's the junk *** junk 484 cam everybody loooovvveeeesss).

-
Back