used cam.... used lifters???

-

streetdak

Reaction score
so here's the deal, I've had a cam since back in my dakota days sitting around. Its a purple cam, i belive its a .508 but need to get it measured, but it definitley has been used. My question is, ive been reading to where people are saying do not use new lifters on an old cam. We'll the cam did not come with matching used lifters. We'll I got the motor out of the car anyway, so I was thinking, Is it possible to use the old lifters off the stock cam, or I am just screwed either way and need to buy a new cam???

unless the old lifters are marked as to which cam lobe they were on ...dont re use them..

i have used new lifters on used cams with no problems..

I've done it a couple of times.New lifters on an old cam,no issues.

New lifter on an old cam = OK

Old lifters on a new cam = Bad

Old lifters on an old cam = OK only if they are are the lifters previously ran on that cam and you are 100% sure each lifter goes back on the lobe it was previously ran on.

That is the basic rule.

Back in the day of NO money and gas was .80 a gallon, We reused unmatched lifters on old cams all the time, never had a problem. I guess we had 2 things on our side, good oil and lots of luck.

I have heard guys say not to put new lifters on a used cam but I have done it a few times with no problem. You just need to use break in lube and break it in like a new cam and lifter set. Also make sure and use Diesel oil, racing oil or a good oil with a ZDDP additive.

buy new lifters \\\\ summit is the best buy \\\

-
Back