Used Intake and Exhaust Valve

-

1973_Scamp

Reaction score
Hello FABO
I just bought a 4323302 head from Junk Yard. I was pull out from a 87 Dodge Ram150. It has stock 1.78" Intake and 1.50" Exhaust. I want to have machine shop to bore Intake to 1.88" and 1.60" for the Exhaust. Could I use "used 1.88" intake and 1.60" exhaust from a 360 head or I need to go for new one at $10 a pop?" What is the average price just for opening the intake and exhaust that include magnaflux the heads?

Thanks,
73_Scamp

If the "used" valves pass inspection, there is no reason not to use them. Commercial rebuilders do it all day long, everyday.

I don't know if this will work but, try the magnum valves. The intake is a tad larger but the big gain is in the diameter of the valve stem. You'll need to replace the guides, which is probably a good idea anyway. I'm not sure about the length, maybe someone will chime in here on that. You will have access to chevy valves (alot cheaper) and improve flow on those heads.

I don't know if this will work but, try the magnum valves. The intake is a tad larger but the big gain is in the diameter of the valve stem. You'll need to replace the guides, which is probably a good idea anyway. I'm not sure about the length, maybe someone will chime in here on that. You will have access to chevy valves (alot cheaper) and improve flow on those heads.

Magnum valves are too short. Chevy valves that are + .100 length will work ( 5.01") , and there are alot more choices as opposed to the offerings for Mopar. In fact hardly anyone makes a decent 1.88. Mopar Performance did years ago, but I don't know if thats still the case.

If you are doing this for a performance gain I'd just replace the intakes with a cheaper stainless performance valve, and the exh with the used ones(assuming they pass inspection). A back cut nailhead will help the heads work and let the seat be as far out in the chamber as possible. You should also have them unshroud the large valve a little in the chamber.

-
Back