Using A Different Fan On A Slant Six

-

cpd1212

Reaction score
New guy here with a question about changing a fan on a slant six.

I'm building a 60 Savoy with a slant six in it and would like to make the most of cooling. The stock 4 blade seems like it would work just fine. My concern is that high summer temps during parades would be a problem.

Would a 7 blade fan with clutch out of an AC equipped car make a difference in cooling? Is it even a possible upgrade?

This car is not going to be a daily driver. It is a clone of what we ran on the Chicago PD in 1960. That said, it will be driven wherever it goes. That includes Washington DC, NYC, and numerous local events that range from 10-250 miles.

Any help is appreciated.

I have never seen a clutch fan on any slant. Doesn't mean it never happened just that I haven't seen one and I've owned many with and without AC.

I think it would work. Just measure first. I put a 7 blade non-clutch on mine and the difference in the amout of air moved is HUGE!

I would first start by taking a few measurements. Measure the circumference of the 4 blade fan and check it's orientation in the shroud. (You do have a shroud, yes??) Measure the distance from the current fan to the radiator, and measure the thickness of any fan spacers.

I'm not current on anything Savoy oriented from 1960, but you should be able to locate a fan clutch and check the thickness of that, and use that measurement to check against the info gathered from your car, then determine whether you have room for the clutch or not.

Heres my example... my 66 car has an original 2 piece metal shroud with a 19" opening. I had to find an original 17" 7 bladed fan to fit in my opening. It is an early A-body Formula "S" fan, don't know if it is also A/C or not.

My car didn't have a fan clutch either, but I was able to eliminate the aluminum spacer behind my original fan and use the clutch in its place. It actually put the fan an inch closer to the radiator, which I needed anyway. My fan is centered in the opening.

Hope this helps in some way, Geof

Attachments

• 100_4294.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 100_4295.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 297
That's a nice looking setup.

I wish I had a shroud, they seem to be few and far between since AC was not a huge selling option. After I added a shroud to my 69 Fury, the cooling difference was HUGE.

In terms of distance, there seems to be plenty of room with some to spare to allow for a little movement without fear of gouging the radiator.

I did this in a 66 valiant and it moves 5 times more air and it is lighter.
looks like I need to take a picture :eek:ops: I will take a picture today :happy1:
I removed the heavy steel four plade hp robbing fan
and now using a stainless 7 blade flex fan, no clutch.

-
Back