Using heat

-

Valkman

Reaction score
Using a heat gun to restore faded vinyl panels? I've seen people do it on YouTube. Anyone here try it?

I haven't tried it, but am curious, what would you use it for? loosening up the old adhesive for disassembly?

I have done it to remove white stretch/bend marks on my motocross bike plastic, and get the fade out of my Rhino plastic and it works OK. Probably wont work on that old vinyl though as it's not Poly plastic. You may end up ruining your parts. Vinyl spray paint will do the same and you can remove it if you f up.

I have done it to remove white stretch/bend marks on my motocross bike plastic, and get the fade out of my Rhino plastic and it works OK. Probably wont work on that old vinyl though as it's not Poly plastic. You may end up ruining your parts. Vinyl spray paint will do the same and you can remove it if you f up.

Has anyone used the dyes like Duplicolor's with success? Doe it hold up over time?

To be clear I guess I may have miss spoke, it's the plastic not vinyl as in a kick panel, or in my case the door panels (on a Challenger). I've used Duplicolor's dye on new vinyl seats as well as Herb's dye to color match other plastic trim part with great success on other cars, but how well it hold up on a surface such as a used door panel that sees a lot of wear ? That is my question?

I have a friend in Ottawa that has a 1970 Challenger, he changed the interior color of his car. He got new skins for the seats and he painted all the plastic trim in the car, including the plastic door panels, console and the dash. That was over 6 years ago and the car still looks great today. I've used it on car door panels from plastic to vinyl over the years. Herbs paint is the best!!!!

All my plastic and vinyl is painted in my car, including the dash, arm rests, kick panels etc. 8 years of weekend driving and not a scratch or a flake. It's all how you prep the plastic, so don't skimp on chemicals for prep before paint.

also, use baby oil to replenish old vinyl. all the silicone based products are a ctually harmful. as in Armor all... ( got this tidbit from old upholstery guy decades ago.yes the vinyl dyes/pant work great. clean with wax/grease remover, I then use acetone to open up the pores in it before spraying.

-
Back