Using magnum manifolds

-

furz4

Reaction score
I have a 73 Dart with a mildly built 318 and would like to upgrade the exhaust a little more. I have a set of magnum manifolds and would like to try running them. I am reading that the passenger side will not clear the power steering, it does look like it would be real close. Anybody here have any luck using these with power steering? Would they fit if the motor was raised slightly? Or I was even thinking about sectioning the manifold slightly for clearance.

I tried the magnum manifolds on a 74 duster with power steering, it hit the steering box and I couldn't get it to work. The other problem is the manifold exit is right where the Z-bar was on a manual trans clutch linkage so I gave up the project. Now possibly with manual steering and a hydraulic clutch I could have made it work, but I didn't go that route.

How much more clearance would it need to clear the power steering do you estimate? My trans is a 904 so am pretty sure I can mod the linkage if necessary for clearance but can only raise the motor so much.

Sorry,I can't remeber exactly (it was about 8 years ago I tried it, but it was "significant" interference, because if it was only a 1/4" or so I would have moved the motor or ground the manifold and/or steering box for clearance.

Thanks for the reply on this. I may give it a try and see what I come up with. I need to remove the original manifolds to re-finish and fix leaky gaskets anyway so it will be a good time to see just how much more clearance is needed. I had thought perhaps I could mill the mounting face some along with the outside of the manifold. I know someone who is experenced in welding cast iron and was seriously thinking about some cutting and re-welding if it looked like it cold be done without restricting flow too much.

Milling the mounting face may be a very good idea. I dont have the manifolds to look at (yet). Let us know what and how you've done. Thanks

Seam like a lot of work for a mild built 318. Are you using magnum heads? With nonmagnum heads you might gain 3 or 4 horsepower.

-
Back