using studs on my heads

-

OUTLAW

Master of All Mopars
Reaction score
I have a kwik question about my small block. Iam putting new aluminum heads on my 360. The heads have extra thick deck surface (5/8 for angle milling) so I needed longer than normal bolts (actually studs) I installed the studs (just till they bottomed out) and Torqued the heads to 75#.Now looking at the studs and nuts, some have threads above the nuts and some are below the top of the nuts. I was always taught that you should have at least 1 complete thread showing above the nut. I have done tons of imports with wet sleeve motors and using studs and nuts, and I ALWAYS HAVE A THREAD OR 2 SHOWING. Any suggestions ?

What heads are these??..I run Edelbrock with ARP studs they are just hand tight in the block,never really noticed how many threads showing,but as long as you have them torqued correctly.. my heads are torqued to 100 foot pounds..

these are speedmaster heads (pro comp) and came with the studs, nuts and washers.I don't really care for the 12 point nuts -they seem really tall to me. I think I am going to just replace the nuts with regular grade 8 nuts

these are speedmaster heads (pro comp) and came with the studs, nuts and washers.I don't really care for the 12 point nuts -they seem really tall to me. I think I am going to just replace the nuts with regular grade 8 nuts

Run it. There is no need to change the nuts.

Get the nuts you like. Seriously, you're right, you always want a couple threads showing on any application.

Working on USAF aircraft the regulations stated 2 threads showing as the min, hope it helps.

He needs 1 times the diameter of the thread in the nut. So if he has a 1/2 inch of thread In the nut he's fine.

75 pounds seems mighty low to me. ARP specs are 110 for studs and Eddy's. Aluminum is aluminum. I'd double check that torque spec. Just sayin.....

75 pounds seems mighty low to me. ARP specs are 110 for studs and Eddy's. Aluminum is aluminum. I'd double check that torque spec. Just sayin.....
u can say what u want, but I would not run studs that don`t come thru the nuts, under any circumstances, on any thing!

u can say what u want, but I would not run studs that don`t come thru the nuts, under any circumstances, on any thing!

Why? What if the nut is 1 inch long? For general use (automotive included) 1 times the diameter of the stud into the nut is plenty.

-
Back